Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default A cry for help.

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted on these forums for a good couple of years. It's been a long time. Too long.

You might remember my project car. It's a 4A-GTE powered ADM AE86. I spent a lot of money on it too. A half decent suspension setup, Tarago diff with TRD 2way, W58 with cushioned button clutch... the works. The engine wasn't just your run-of-the-mill 4A's with a cheap turbo bolted on either. AE101 4AGZE, only 36,000kms on it, bits and pieces reco'd all over, with a brand new turbo which was essentially an aftermarket version of an S14 turbo (GT2560R if I remember correctly). I got it to the stage where it'd start, albeit with a lot of smoke... the base map on the Microtech was very rich.

If it wasn't for my signature, I would never have guessed I had started this project nearly 5 years ago now. Don't ask me where the time's gone. Life got in the way. I decided to go all professional and try and do something with my life. I finished uni at the end of 2009, but got a girlfriend before that... we've been together nearly 4 years now. 2 weeks ago she gave birth to my daughter Aurora. I've got a job now with a News Ltd business unit now and nearly 2 years ago I bought a house. I've got a pretty sweet shed now (6x6x3m) filled with my 86, and pretty much most things you'd expect in a home workshop, plus a bit more. Everything from a basic tool set through to a AC/DC tig welder and a 15hp generator.

I believe I've made sufficient headway for a 24 year old to have a bit of fun, and reopen an old project that got away. Besides, I think I need to do this otherwise I'm going to go fkn nuts. I need some fun.

This isn't a request for handouts, I mostly need advice. It's been so long that I don't know what's the best way to finish all the parts that need finishing. I don't have a lot of money at the moment but I would like to have a plan of action so I know what money I need to finish her. Here's the things I'm not happy with that I need help with.

Fuel system: My silly ADM carbie fuel system wasn't going to cut it so I started replacing it. I don't like how it's sitting now though, as I know it won't pass engineering and I'm sure a better solution has come up since. What's the best idea for a street legal(ish) 4AGTE these days?

Gearbox crossmember: I've got an AE101 block, Niteparts bellhousing, W58 and a one-piece tailshaft. I've got a custom plate-metal crossmember now but it's hanging too low. I also believe that I need a more suitable shifter. What do I do here to make this suitable?

Speedo drive: Mine was rusted out and I need something to go between the W58 and my dash. What do?

Seats: I stupidly threw out my originals (okay, they weren't the greatest in the first place) and butchered the rails trying to make a set that went on an aftermarket Autobarn $400 pair, that were way too big. What's a suitable and economical solution to putting seats in?

There's a few other little bits and pieces that need doing too but these are the main points. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone in the Redlands (east/bay side of Brisbane, south of the river) that would want to come over and have a look, or even lend a hand?

Help me AE86DC, you're my only hope.
    The Phoenix; In the build since 10/06!
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

Name
    Chris
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Will the AE86 see the track? Do you plan on running a surge tank? It's not too difficult running a lift pump inside the tank, with a surge tank and fuel pump in the boot. As long as everything is secured and sealed off from the cabin I can't see a problem with it.

Name
    Clay
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

as far as i know use tour 6mm breather line for you main feed to your rail.
    davey uses standed lines in his still.

if they're pulled out go to you local brake shop and get a roll of 6mm tube and bend up new lines.
    its not as hard as it sounds. buy a $20 tube bender from ebay for this if its going through engineering. make it all neat like.

edit misunderstood...

find a jdm tank with baffles the simply swap pumps and bolt in.
    no screwing around finding tanks/lines/fittings/pumps ect, ect.
    no fuel fumes. more legal, better looking and cheaper
    Last edited by ke_70; 6th April 2011 at 11:20 PM.

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Fuel system? EXACTLY what ke_70 said - it's a perfect setup, and it's easy

Gearbox crossmember? I don't know if you mean the crossmember is too low, or the box is too low - if just the box, you could dodgy it up by putting some washers in between the crossmember and the rubber mount - but that's a bandaid - realistically, make a new one. Or get someone to make you one.

Speedo drive? Any W5X manual (not electric) speedo drive + an ae86 speedo cable - they bolt on to one another, and it's the setup to use - no ifs or buts.

Seats? Find someone chucking out some standard ones - it's not worth your time an effort to screw around trying to make other cars' fit. When you have the spare cash, just buy a *insert bride/sparco/other seat here* and a proper side or bottom-mount rail.

And i'm nowhere near redlands, but i could probably have a looksee/talk crap someday when i'm not screwing around on my own car
    4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Name
    Brendan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

where abouts exactly are you man, im in shailer park and more than willing to come and do my best at pointing you in the right direction/swing spanners etc swing me a pm and ill try get out there on the weekend man

always keen to see another 86 finished
    MY JZX83 (clicky)
    My Beams Powered AE86 SOLD (clicky)

Quote Originally Posted by destroyer View Post
    Too bad im in the same town as dr1ft-p1g im pretty sure his mx83 is the coolest.

Name
    Brett
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I'm also only in Waterford west and would give u a hand. Getting other peoples projects finished is wat I like doin lol. Just let me know.

Also there's a standard camry fuel pump bolts straight into these tanks. Not sure wat model camry tho. Ull hav to search that one further.

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

man was only thinking about this car a couple days ago..... would be awesome to see it finished

and congrats on lifes achievments
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah id wondered where you'd dissapeared to.

Fuel system: a jdm feul tank with an upgrded (rear, new) fuel pump is relistically the way to go in my oppinion all things considered. youre stock 14" fuel links should be fine. some brass compression fittings would be nice for the ends.

Gearbox crossmember: probably best to enlist the help of one of the better weekend warriors around here. with some preparation this is an easy on site day job even if you have to start from scratch. something like $200 should cover it.

Speedo drive: cant really help but if you do some research on toymods youll get an answer. or maybe try pm'ing AK. just understand he is busy.

Seats: only of the mr2s has pretty easy seats to fit. maybe even ra60 etc. going to the wrckers with a tape measure will come up with some answers. if you buy the seats before doing the x member, whoever does that can probably help with the seats.

this is the type of thing some times brett ( "jdm garage" purple sr86 builder) sometimes helps out with. he is on holidays right now but i can put you onto him if you like.
    Last edited by slydar; 7th April 2011 at 01:15 PM.
    78's

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Woo, glad to see all you guys still hang around here. I was afraid things might have changed a bit and everyone had done something similar to me, or had migrated to another forum. Everything was pretty uncertain when I started falling out of the scene so good to see everyone still here.

Aight, so that sounds good to me. Fuel I'll rip out all the BS I've got in there now and sort out a JDM tank with baffles and a new pumpski. I've got a pair of AW11 seats but they don't seem to fit terribly well. Maybe someone who's put them in before could come give me a hand? I don't know, just seems to not line up right. Gearbox crossmember; when I've got a couple hundred dollars I'll put the word out in this thread for someone who's keen... I'll provide pizza, drinks, anything the helper wants, haha. Speedo drive and cable can wait, I'm sure that in my travels doing the above I'll find someone that can tell me what needs to be done.

I'll post up some piccies today to show everyone what my shed setup looks like. Even though I haven't had a lot of time to spend in there, I'm pretty proud of it.

EDIT: Oh, for the lines too, I do have a tube bender already. Does everyone just use a pair of hose clamps at each end or do people actually use properly crimped EFI fittings? I think this was something that made me get a bit fearsome of $$$. Fkn fittings cost billions and add up real quick. =\
    Last edited by PuGZoR; 10th April 2011 at 10:19 AM.
    The Phoenix; In the build since 10/06!
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

Name
    Derek
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

If you find a shop that specializes in gauges/dash clusters they will be able to get a speedo drive converter for you.
    its essentially a small box that sits inline on your speedo cable that is geared to change the output speed of the gearbox to the correct speed required by your dash. He will also be able to make new cable and ends to suit.

I'd recommend taking the correct ends (w58/ae86 dash) and tell him the length you want the cable to be made.
    Then once the car is going, grab a gps and workout your actual speed relative to the dash speed and take that back to him to get the converter box made up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast