Country
    Australia

Default KE70 Front Windscreen Install?

Car - KE70

motor - irrelevant but 4agze

use - sitting around not getting completed

problem - will have to install front windscreen myself

occurs/started when - forever

Ok so last thing i need to do on corolla is get windscreens install. rear is ok thats a rope in one front is a glue in one.
    my car is down byron shire way and the only local call out install guys decided they wont do it now after about a month of stuffing around waiting for parts "car is custom ride, we cant do it".

anyway, im going to have to do it myself obviously, has anyone on here done an install on ke70 front windscreen and can tell me how? would be much appreciated.
    i know im going to need a second person, couple of suction cap handle thingys, the material to use and technique im not sure about.

cheers.

Name
    Gary
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

window si;icone from an auto shop its quite easy providing you have decent window rubber i cant remember what my ke seal is like as i havent done one for years but i worked in a panel shop for ages .

basically pull out old window with a razor slice of most of the old silicone leaving a small amount if you can as it helps the new stuff bond better always go base of window in first , and if it has to be partially roped in from memory i think they do ?

then wrap your rope around the window a knot in one end and an old silicone nozzle attached to the other start by inserting the bottom of the window and work your way around . also slap the glass in a downward motion your bare hand will grip the glass and it will help it settle into position .

follow the rubber around untill you get to the top following the slapping technique alll the way around . take your time and use liberal amounts of silicone .

for one of two reasons . mostly so you dont get leaks .

secondly if you use enough you can fill the gap between rubber and and metal preventing any water getting in and rusting away your sil .

good luck its not that hard i suggest you give it a go

oh and clean your glass and excess silicone asap

Name
    Gary
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

oh and sorry , but i cant remember the specific silicone , i always used the sikaflex brand there are two types there is a window sealer that doesnt harden and a window glue . make sure you get the right stuff it will have details on the can .

Name
    Zac
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

thanks.
    sounds like the rear window install though. the front has no rubber and there appears to be nowhere to wrap a rubber around anything either, like, no lip on the body of the car. something seems out of place i will have to look at another corolla.

Name
    Gary
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

there probably isnt mate , like i said i havent done a screen in a ke70 for easily 3 years . if theres no rubber its simple as . just run a decent bead of window glue and tape the window in . i always go base first so your not smearing glue everywhere lifting the screen up and down trying to get it in .

other than that dont drive it for 12 - 24 hours to let it cure properly .

its really not that hard . removal on glued screens can be a night mare without a 90deg cutting tool . but if the screens not in you should have no problem

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

iirc, the seal for the front glass has two wires in it. these are connected to 12v to basically heat the seal and melt it to make it ultra sticky. it is heated to install it, but sometimes can be used to help with removal of windscreen to.

I would guess that there would be a generic how to on youtube, the shit people put up...

gl

Name
    Zac
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i have been educated by a windscreen installer that it is merely glued in with a generous portion of sicaflex 227. i went to the wreckers to be sure and had a look under the chrome trim on some of the toyotas there and yeh it is just sicaflex.
    *as in the stuff you just get from supersteep.
    "Sikaflex®-227 is a one-component polyurethane sealant designed for car body construction, curing on exposure to atmospheric moisture to form a durable elastomer."
    Last edited by keiichi; 27th April 2011 at 11:35 AM.