Thread: One day she'll get there

Name
    Robert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default One day she'll get there

Hey guys ive been a member for a while now purchased a rough condition ae86 hatch late 2009 thought i should do a write up on it and join in reading up on members builds and trying to get a few opinions on which direction i should take with my project as my financial circumstances may allow me to start on it soon.

im expecting the car to take roughly 5 years to finish off and im not really in any sort of rush to speed it up anytime soon.

the car came with a few bits and pieces already but chances are ill soon be stripping it down and starting from scratch.
    so far heres the car
    *1983 Toyota Sprinter AE86 Sprinter ADM

*60-70 000 km's 4ac with a few new bits and pieces on it.
    as far as i know the shocks are standard with 8kg front 6kg rear king springs.

*i think its a T18 diff fairly sure its non lsd as it has a tendancy to single peg half the time but still feels rear end happy when accelerating through a corner.

*t50 transmission. not sure if its jdm or adm but will have to wait and see when i start stripping the car down.

*The interior is rough and the plastics were resprayed black by the previous owner and chances are ill end up selling it fairly cheap as i dont think its really worth anything in its current condition.

as for the exterior its all fairly straight in terms of the pannels but there are some large sections of unfinished bog work that makes me worry a littlebit.

fail bonnet pins that the origional owner installed.

and celica wheels

thats about all i can think of in terms of the car as it is.

The plan. opinions and suggestions greatly appriciated.

First off ill start by stripping the car down and selling off any of the parts that i intend to replace. this will be happening very soon.

i am planing to paint the car in a panda finish.

converting the front end to the trueno front end.

i have a 20v silvertop that i am unsure what to do with as all the information i have found on this is a little scattered and i am yet to see any dyno figures in an ae86 with various transmissions.
    basically what i would really like to do is supercharge the 20v engine as it shares the same block as the gze and the later 4age's using forged pistons and conrods which i can get fairly cheaply. but again information on this matter is fairly scarse as far as which options i have for forced induction on these motors. possibly a turbo but i would like to go Forced Induction without sacrificing engine response.
    my end goal for power is roughly 220hp at the wheels but i think i am being over eager with a 20v silvertop possibly with a black top head on forged silvertop internals?
    also struggling to decide on what ecu to get i was thinking an apexi power fc but ill let the more knowleged be the judge of that.

willwood 4 pot front brakes (already have them ready and waiting) not going to bother untill everything is done

1.5 way kazz lsd from what i have read its a good starting point to learn the art of drifting.

TRD 5 t50 close ratio gearbox. i am a little sceptical with these as i hav'nt heard a whole lot of member reviews. plus i dont know how well they would hold up to a thrashing compared to a standard t50 gearset. or if i am better off i will possibly do the w58 conversion as there are also a large variety of aftermarket gearsets for these box's. i am however unsure of the gearleaver positioning in relation to the factory location as i would like to keep it as close as possible.

i appologise if i seem like a bit of an idiot asking questions in my build thread but i mean better somone correct me here than go through it all and find out that i have missed somthing.

these are pics of the 86 as it is at the moment.
    i will post updates as i go but at the moment it will be a while.

Uploaded with

Name
    Brenton
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

sounds like an alright little project mate about the supercharging of the 20v though i would have a second thought about weather you deem this actually worth while as it would be alot more efficient to turbo it if your going down the forced induction route
    adm ae86 now one hell of a project
    ae71 small project

Name
    Robert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yea i thought about that but having driven a gze both turbo and supercharged i personally liked the way the supercharger felt under your foot as there is almost no delay in throttle response. i guess it really depends on how big of a turbo i go for and how its tuned figured turbo would be simpler and cheaper in most cases but wanted to try somthing different any ideas on how to tune the plentum for a smooth air delivery into the engine. i was thinking about welding a plentum to a set of aluminium velosity stacks that seem to be the most commonly used for these engines but not sure if its the correct way to go about it.

Name
    Gareth
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default ls1 ae86

Attachment 17828Attachment 17827Attachment 17826Attachment 17825here are some pics of my project, a ls1 ae86 circuit car, engine is fitted up, just need a t56 and g142 hilux diff

Name
    Robert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

i tried looking at the pics in your reply the links don't work

Name
    Adam
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hi Robert,

Have been trying to get onto you about the Wantanabes for sale, haven't heard back from you? Have sent a few PMs. Really keen to sell them just waiting on your word thanks mate.
    JDM '86 Sprinter Trueno