Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: My KETO project

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

ok so i thought i would revive this thread. haven't had much time to work on the car due to having end of term exams and assignments but now there all done, time to get cracking. didn't get many photos as i didn't think to take any at the time.

Didn't too get much done today. i started by pulling the sump off to check everything wasn't all gunked up, upon inspections it was clean as, except the last owner had drilled a new hole in the sump to run a tube and hadn't cleaned off the shards after drilling.

On further looking i noticed tiny shards of metal at first i thought it was my bearings but i'm hoping its some of the shards that the previous owner didn't clean up and not bits of my bearings.

feeling quite dis heartened i decided to leave the engine and work on getting the pedal box and stuffed heater core out.

old heater core

old pedal box

new pedal box half in

a quick question, how did everyone go about marking out, drilling and cutting the new holes and stuff for the pedal box?

and is there a way of checking the conditions of your bearings while the sump is off?

till next time guys.

Name
    Peter
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Man I didn't have to cut anything to fit the pedal box in it bolts straight in. If you mean the holes for the clutch master that was easy.

Thanks to this dude on Rollaclub. That bit above where the clutch line came through I just cut it off completely as I thought it looked tacky hacking a chunk out. Then you can see next to where the brake booster mounts that indent where the clutch master sits perfectly drill the holes and then use a dremel to elongate the holes if you're off a bit. You can get the pedalbox in without taking out the whole dash pad too its a bit of a bitch but I managed.

You see that so called tube the previous owner put in thats for a catch can. I wouldn't have a car without a catch can.
    my 2006 xr8 when I rebuilt it at 80,000kms the intake manifold was full of black oily crud and so was all the throttlebody. If you know commodores they have this same issue with the throttlebodies always sticking from the gunk sucked in. My saab is a prime example the breather goes from the rocker cover to the intake tube between the filter and turbo and the turbo was sucking in oil.
    Read this about the oil system. The 4AGE has a tedency to dump oil in the manifold in hard left corners.

Put a catch can in run a line from the rocker cover to the can then from the can back to the manifold if you like fill it with steel wool and run a line to where the previous owner put that connection and you're done. Personally I skip the back to the sump bit cause you can run the risk of condensation in the catch can and it mixing into your oil. It takes a long time to fill one so I just dump it when I do my oil change if there it any in there.

As for bearings just see how much movement they have in them the rods will move from the front to the back of the crankshaft a real little but shouldn't have any movement from side to side i.e. engine mount to engine mount.
    Last edited by Bluterus; 28th June 2011 at 11:35 AM.
    My Project Thread! KE70 4AGTE Build & Respray
    http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ead.php?t=2294

Name
    Davey & Riki-lee
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

im liking this build! reminds me of my current te72 build im doing
    R&D Mechanical, Seaford SA - please visit www.rdmechanicalshop.com
    Our introduction - Click here

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

this is like how i wish i did things, oowell looking good man

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

yea thats what i meant, yea i found that page as well. i did the same. pretty much just made a template and put that as centred as i could and drilled the holes and used a dremel to enlarge them. was a bit iffy about cutting into the body at first but got over that. yea i need to get one, another thing to add to the list. okk will check that, cheers dude.

thanks man, haha i don't think its quite that extensive, but cheers anyway.

ah theres always time to go back and re do it, just have to have the motivation to do it. way i saw it i wanted to do everything while the engine was out. thanks dude

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

bit of an update, so i got a bit done today finally finished sanding back the bay for painting and treated a few bits of rust that i have been wanting to do for ages. (pics are from when i was half way through.)

also cut the holes for my clutch master cylinder, made up a template from the face of the master cylinder and used that as a guide.

also picked up a few things from pick and pay less, but aslo forgot to get a another level sender while i was there.

new heater core, that doesn't leak

new sun visors as mine are stained and s*&$

also picked up a commonhore air box, a new fan for the heater system, map sensor, and an oil cooler

and whats this.....

SEAM WELDING THE ENGINE BAY BABY!

the welds aren't finished, some of them need to fixed up and all of them need to be grind back and cleaned up. i gave them a quick squirt with primer so they wouldn't rust.

also gave my steering shaft and housing a quick lick of paint (don't have a pic of steering shaft)

still have to do heaps more spot welds but that will happen soon.

also what do you guys think, my battery tray is pretty munted and there is heaps of battery acid stains on it, do should i clean it up or just get rid of it and relocate the battery to the boot?

till next time guys.
    Last edited by Sprinter Freak; 30th June 2011 at 02:15 AM.

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i cant wait to seam my POS, hahaha envy you XD

man you got heaps of battery tray half of mien is gone, all i would do is clean it up and have a good battery(want leak all the time) or if you really want it nice yes put it in the boot

tack weld EVERYTHING, if your going to bother doing it in your engine make sure you do all the joins and shit not jsut your towers

goodshit man

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

haha thanks man, its good fun, just be careful not to blow a hole in the metal, happened to me once :/ yea i do but it was just such an eye sore, so i got rid of it and am going to mount it in the boot.

yea thats the aim, took all the sealer off the joins so it makes a nice weld. just have to finish it off on the weekend.

thanks man. hows your keto going? got it back from the auto electricians yet?

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Some inspiration i have been looking to for this build.

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

yea been driving it for a couple of weeks, detinated something in my diff oon sunday arvo (like 2 hours from home) still havent pulled diff apart to have a look

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast