Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AE86DC May Competition

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

My first experience with 86s comes with owning one. I fell in love with them from playing “GRID”. I have always liked Toyotas and it is exactly what wanted, small sporty hatch and RWD BABY!!!...so I bought one, it has caused nothing but great joy and immense heartache.
    Well I joined ae86dc, rollaclub, trolled for a couple of months got to know the basics. Then I found one on carsales

I went to have a look and organised to buy it however he sold it as I went to put a deposit down, then a couple of months past and the same one came back up for sale. Determined not to let the same thing happen again I bought there and then for the same price as before but with upgraded cams WIN!!
    This being my first manual car, I spent the next few days driving around the block until I confident to drive it, LIFE WAS GREAT.
    Then I got the “drift bug” so I started taking it out to the local tra*cough* industrial area…and one fateful night I hit a fence and damaged the front end, bent rad support and rails……..saaaadface!
    Upon closer inspection I realised it had signs of a previous crash. So I did a dodgy and bodged it up and decided ill drive the shit outta it till it dies and ill do a rebuild…..then came the DEFECT *insert horror music. Meanwhile I started seeing this fly girl,

she was like OH OH OH OOOOH MY GOD! (note 86s get all the bitches). One night it was parked at her house…I was inside errr playing um xbox and her ex BF, jealous of my 86, (commodore driver), throws a brick through the window.
    …now it sits in my driveway defected looking rather sorry for itself, and the girl I was seeing has now gone back to her douche bag ex. Extreme saaaaaaaaadface! Oh well I have learnt a very valuable lesson out of this. Contrary to popular belief 86’s infact do not get all the bitches.

Name
    Will
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Throughout highschool everyone wanted como's and falcons, and I wanted something that I could modify myself and make into a more spirited driving sort of car. My solution: a manual gemi.
    Now my mechanic, who was fixing up a red spirit for his daughter, and his neighbour/best mate (both in their 40's/50's) offered to get me parts for the gem. The neighbor (main guy to this story) had a heaps of spares lying around as his son had a tweaked one.
    Now this bloke had these two cars that were his alternating daily's, and they happened to be 2 adm sprinters, still 4ac with upwards of 300 on the clock, both with 14x6 performance wheels and konis, sensibly modded. He also had another 3 in his backyard, which were for wrecking. Even though i spent a lot of time driving them in nfs underground, they got me! and I wanted to know everything! Stories a many, turns out he used to have an ae71 panel van that he had pretty dialed but got written off, so the suspension was in the blue adm.
    Say what? Corolla stuff fitted sprinters and vice versa?
    So not be able to afford an 86, i started looking for an e7 and the rest is history. Along the years he has let me borrow them (like when the rolla blew a head gasket) and go for little fangs (I recall a clutched u-turn and lost my shit on how it responded and handled) and he still has them. Hopefully I will own one of them one day.

Here's a pic of one (sorry bout shit phone darky)

Will.
    SuperFunHappySliders

SR's are ghey.

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i needed a 4 cylinder car because i was going back to studying full time and was low on cash. i wanted a 2 door because my mates always jumped in with me because i had a 4 door which added to fuel costs.

i typed toyota coupe into ebay and found an ae86. it was rusty as hell with no rego, missing interior pieces, 4ac all for $1000. i went and took it for a test drive and decided i liked the car but didnt want that one. i wanted one with rego, no rust and having a full interior. i didnt realise until later that they all were pretty much like that one i saw apart from engines. rusty, missing interior pieces, no rego or defected or by some miracle had a dodgey pink slip.

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

E-Famous (Remeber your roots)
    Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

This video.

My first personal experience was with my own.

Banned
    Name
    Chris
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

my first and current ae86, i used to have a r32 4 door with an rb25de and was asked if i wanted to swap for an ae86 with a s/t 20v, it had open throttle bodies with t3 stacks, it has an adaptronic e420c running way too rich and a big exhaust leak causing it to stall. the first time i went to look at it he started it up and it was running rough i said to keep it running and at this point neither of us knew it had a tiny pin hole leak in the fuel line and was spraying fuel mist up in front of #2 throttle body, the car got real lumpy and stalled throwing a massive backfire flame straight out throttle body #2 and the whole engine bay caught fire at this time the bonnet was down but un latched, both me and the guy who at that time owned it were running around not knowing what to do, then the other guy opens the bonnet letting fresh air in which made the fire break out massivly, i ran out to my r32 grabbed the fire fire extinguisher and caked the whole engine bay in pvc powder, that afternoon i drove home in my burnt busted ass ae86 20v, and have spent the past year fixing it up, to this day that has been the worst experience i have had while buying a car and the funniest and i still own it to this day and love it.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

My brother "redsprinter" forum member of the old and new, "John" bought his first ae86, light blue back in year 2002-2003?
    Drove it hard, had a 4AC and put a massive hole in the block, i have no idea how that happened but it did, hole was a little smaller then a tennis ball
    He then soon bought a Red Sprinter with a 4age and the light blue sprinter was on the driveway for months
    i was in about grade 9 i think or 10 in high school about that time
    so he slowly parted out the light blue shell...interior, seat-belts, quarter glass plastic covers, seats, everything every other sprinter owner wanted (remember this part of the story)
    so it came down to almost a bare rolling shell, thats when i was like "stuff this im going to bring it back", bought a 4AC off another forum member at the time, pick it up, that 4AC sat in the backyard for years to come
    started to sus out the rust on the light blue shell..was not much at the time, only the rear beaver panel where the rear bar hangs off (general ae86 rust spot)
    later on the shell would be sold and long gone
    fast forward about 1 year and few months, brother got a hold of 180sx type x, and i drove the Redsprinter around, crashed it, a mechanic friend decided to buy the car and do a quick fix to just drive it around
    the red sprinter passenger front guard was damaged, i did it, but it got replaced with passenger guard off the lightblue shell, later found that this same mechanic had the redsprinter+the light blue shell+another purple shell he bought, someone else unfinished project
    in about 2007-2008, i bought my first AE86, navy blue sprinter with 4age conversion, drove it around, sold whatever left spares of ae86 parts i had, (i remember selling the rear speak interior peace to a forum member which drove a gun metal gray turbo sprinter, more on this later) motor was getting old, did not break i might add!, but decided to swap to a more newer motor, bought a 4age off another member, and got ripped off, motor was not running as he claimed it were to be, and didn't want to go to jail for burning his house down, i sucked it up and saved whatever money i had for another 4age...My car then sat on the driveway for 6months before i had enough money for a another 4age, put that in, drove great, car ran out of Rego very shortly, sat on the drive way again for a few more months

During around the same time, my brothers 180sx got ridden off, got paid out and he was on a hunt for another turbo car. getting off track here but story goes, he ended up buying the Gun Metal Grey Sprinter i sold my back speaker interior too...amazing how much of sluts sprinters can be LOL

So a new year came by, and i was in a position with a little more money, so decided to do a full home job DIY rebuild
    stripped out My sprinter to only find out that the shell was beyond rust repair.
    Then i remembered our old mechanical mate with all our old sprinters, called him up and he sold the redsprinter away, but still had 2 of the other sprinter shell, went to have a look
    the purple one was way over the top, but the light blue shell looked like it had not aged one bit, it sat in Australias weather conditions with no cover over it's head for a good 4years by now and has not aged one bit! the Project began

when the project started, unable to find pictures of this before the 4ac blew and got sold off

this was a machine!

Was truly the best 180sx out there in Australia, immaculate and original paint from Nissan, the rims were sold to a blue s15 driver that drifts in NSW, im sure people would know this guy and recognize these rims, this is who he bought it off =p

My dark navy ae86 and sisters Trueno

AE86 20v silvertop, trueno with badass 16v

Nice! how all ae86 should be like

so while doing the rebuild of the new shell etc etc..Our younger sister bought a JDM trueno, which later came as my daily driver as she could user public transport to and from work and i couldnt, the 4age in this Trueno then spun a bottom end bearing, we dropped another 4age into this and was driving for a while, and then that 4age spun a bottom end bearing not to long after..

by this time, my 16v 4age engine for my shell had been completely rebuilt fresh and ground up to a high comp engine, but i could not get the ECU wired to work the engine for some reason.
    An engine package came up for sale from Buddy Parts, 20v silvertop package with microtech ECU etc..so my sister bought this package and gave it to me, and i swapped her for my 16v 4age, i personally still wanted the 16v since you cant put money on blood and sweat, but at that situation a engine with matching ECU was easier for me, and a simple drop-in engine to the Trueno was killing 2 birds with one stone..so the Trueno got a bit of work done and now is rocked my hard ass 16v, goes hard, really hard

Working on my Project car a few months later then came to a decision to part it out as it was not worth putting any more money into it just to get it running as it is
    Parted everything out and it was so sad to see the Same Shell, the very first AE86 that started this all is now going away again, was sold to another forum member which i believe now has been sold/or still for sale..

Before it was sold out, you can see my brothers gun metal gray sprinter in this, also was to be sold as a complete car

steriodchicken's gold front bar from his gold ae86, red side mirror from brothers Red Sprinter, front passgener gaurd from my navy blue sprinter, shell bonnet hatch is original from the shell, doors are from the purple shell mate had, 20v silvertop, rear seat belts from the red sprinter too i believed it had, basically parts were coming left right and center from all the same AE86 we had going from one to another back to the other lol
    Last edited by Rice86; 3rd May 2011 at 01:48 PM.
    dose

Name
    John
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

^^^^ good story .... almost got me tearing up ... yeah been on DC for a while now . always been a lurker more then anything . always learning .

so yeah its pretty much that ... but im not really sure why i got into sprinters. i remeber watching an old HPi DVD and seeing a couple of sprinters and also watching intial d . helpd emphasized the car. at the end of the day when i got my p i had no money and every other turbo car or import at the time was wayyy to expensive .

so figured a sprinter would be the cheap one out of the bunch .. and yeah they were about 5 years ago. oh how times have change .

its a bit of a shame but i never really got to take a photo of that blue sprinter . but i did have some good time in it . drove it hard and loved every mintue of it. every time i drove pass a glass building i would look at it and think how lucky i was.

the blue sprinter also sacrificed a rear seat belt and half pulled a Ae92 out of scary ditch at natio.

it was also special because my gf at the time help me get it . i work 6 days to earn $300 a week , caught a bus and train and then walked for 15mins each day. so by the time i got paid and bought a weekly ticket for the train and bus and take the gf out i was lucky to have 100ish left so when christmas came gf at the time gave me a christmas card . opened it up to find 1.5k in it . it was the best gift anybody has ever given to me.

anyways the motor did blow. and i moved onto the red one .

paid 4k for it . had leaky 4age + quads... loved it to bits ... and then bro stacked it ..

3rd sprinter was this, bought it rebuit .. and wasnt happy with it so i rebuilt it agian ..

and then sold it .. due to a money thing .

bluesprinter's frist skid pan day

same day i was there in the 180

redsprinter
    Last edited by motorculture; 4th May 2011 at 08:50 PM.
    Automotive social media http://motorculture.com.au or call us on 02 9418 9008

For some daily car culture check out http://zengarage.com.au

Name
    Phil
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Mine's a LAME storey.

Twas around 96-97 and i was given a manga volume by my uncle who pointed out that the car in the comic was one he had owned back in '85.

Whoopee, I'm 17 and my uncle gives me cartoons..............

About 7 years later i found it again, read it, studied it and spend lots of alone time with it, it was deceided i should own one.

At the time unable to import (funds), i bought a non-running 'project' car.

2 years later it was still rough, but got it rwc'd and registered.

Currently being 'reconstructed' to fix the items i half assed on the first time.

Phil

Name
    Peron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

my first car was a standard ae71. i thought it was a piece of crap but would do to learn in. i had the car for a bit over a week when my dad was supervising me in the rain. i came upto a set of lights to turn right and they were red, so i started slowing down changed to 2nd just as they went green not have much experience i started to accelerate and turn did a bit of a drift and that was it i was in love.

Name
    Brett
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Way back before I even had my p's I wanted a sprinter for my first car. Not knowing a thing about them besides the fact that they hav awesome Japanese 90s styling and could drift. And I only knew this cause I was into watching the initial D on YouTube. So instead my first car was a dirty old pulsar. Then a few years passed and after owning a 180sx, wrx and a 4 door 33 which I wrote off after owning it after only 4 days or so I used that insurance monis to by my first ke70. Which I got off some loser on boostcruising with a 4agze engine with Microtech separate. So drove it home put a locked diff in it that also came with the car and before testing if it was good and safe we was drifting around the trees in my mates yard. Then every rainy day or night or dirt road we came by we would get in the wet weather worrier and tear it up. Not long after, the 4k clapped out and the 4agte conversion could commence.

So to everyone out there. Don't stress if u can't get wat u want straight away. Good things come to ppl that wait.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast