Thread: Which Aftermarket ECU?

Name
    Dario
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default Which Aftermarket ECU?

before you read on, i wasnt sure if this was the right place to post this. sorry if it isnt... hopefully a mod can relocate if it isnt...

Basically just wondering whats the way to go in regards to aftermarket ECU's (stand alone). What's good and why, what are most people using, rough price, best place to shop for them etc etc etc...
    the setup im looking to work with is a bigport 4AGE 16v NA, quads, cams, extractors..mild, nothing crazy, still streetable but will see some track work also ...

thanks in advance..
    Dario

** I HAVE TRIED USING SEARCH **
    Last edited by JDM-086; 7th May 2011 at 06:14 AM.

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

use the search function, there's heaps of threads

Name
    Dario
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

i did use search... i wouldnt post without trying search first...either im searching incorrectly or there isnt any threads... if u no any please point me in the right direction and ill b on my merry way

** i searched "ECU 4AGE" in technical discussion and it came up with threads related to problems only, which isnt what im after....
    Last edited by JDM-086; 7th May 2011 at 06:12 AM.

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

okadaptronic (how ever you spell it my mozilla spell check is fucking out)(quotes from others on here) all the features of higher market (expencive ECU's) but cheap, an ecu that can actually run toyota VVTI ,easy to source as one of the forum sponcors sells them, heaps of people tune them, people are going to say adaptronic

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

isnt adaptronic discontinued ? well no sign of it on kzg now with patch looms which is what made it cheap, dario the best thing to do is choose who your going to go for your tune and see what they would recommend for your engine and how familiar they are with that ecu.

Name
    Filip
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Yerp, best would be to go and chat to whos going to be tuning your car.

Dr drift quoted my mate $2200 for an adaptronic ecu, new engine loom, new sensors, and tune for a st20v in an 86 just to give you an idea

Name
    Dario
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

yeah i thought so, i actually spoke to my mechanic first (IDB automotive) and he said he usually uses haltech for his cars but microtech is also good... but i thought id ask around here also.. i wanted to get a few more opinions and learn abit more about it before i commit to spending in excess of 1k. the whole ecu world is still pretty alien to me so i wanted to be a bit more educated before i decide...

**did a quick search on adaptronic with no luck. seems like whichever sponsor was selling them, no longer does**
    Last edited by JDM-086; 7th May 2011 at 05:02 PM.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I'm in the market for an ecu too.

Send kaizen garage a pm and by that I guess I mean send Anthony a pm. Nikkojoe got an adaptronic off them like a month ago.

Adaptronics lack battery voltage dwell and injector deadtime adjustment compensation. Don't get me wrong, they work good, run an engine fine but engine will start struggling to run when the alternator shits itself. They're good in that you can do 4d tuning, which will probably help with getting a better tune with quads.

I can't figure out how to use haltech's software. So that rules them out. (Ima tune the thing myself)

I like link/vipec. The low end model will run your engine fine and has the same 4d tuning capabilities. Will require resistor packs for your low-z injectors. Adaptronic does not. The logging is nicer to use/look at on link/vipec. Gotta pay extra for datalogging on microtech, but it's probably a feature you won't use.

Another thing will link/vipec is you can set up a engine oil pressure map that you can use to switch on a light or kill the engine when the oil pressure dips below expected through cornering starvation.

For me I'm leaning towards vipec V88/link G4 xtreme for SR (i need that damn antilag to spool turbo) but for NA 4a, get an adaptronic.

Oh and I don't have an opinion on microtech, I can't download their software.

Name
    Filip
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I have a micro lt10 with x4 memory, hand controller and full loom that was pulled off a st20v in an 86 for $1000 posted if anyone is keen

Name
    Drew
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The newer haltech stuff is very good, sprint 500/ platinum sport 1000 for what you want, good ecu's the software is also good.
    Autronic if you want 1 of the best

the adaptronic's have a good rep but i can't say from personal experience.
    I have only seen 1 vipec that was poorly fitted to an r32gtr with an os3ltr stroker engine.it was easier to remove the vipec & start again with a platinum sport 2000 than try & fix the mess that was there.
    left a bad taste of vipec for me

i have been using an old microtec for about 10 years,its not flash but it has been reliable(years in sydney then driven to perth all over wa then back to brissy/gold coast)
    It will probably get replaced with a platinum sport 1000 when funds allow.

Dr drift knows what he's doing, ask him what he recommends for you

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast