ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

Default How to install BC camber tops?

Car - AE86 Levin

motor - 4GTE

use - Daily, occasional track/drift

problem - How to install BC camber tops

I can get my hand on a set of BC camber tops from someone on the forum here but I would like to know how to install them. My search came up with some info but I just want to get the procedure straight so I know what to do, where to look out for and what tools I need...

To make it easy (and add pictures after the install for an how-to) I'll divide it up in steps, please feel free to comment on the steps if you know a better/easier way!

The steps:
    1. Jack up car.
    2. Remove wheel.
    3. Remove brake caliper from front strut assembly.
    4. Remove three nuts at the top of the strut.
    5. Remove the two bolts mounting the shock absorber assembly to the lower control arm.
    6. Lower the control arm and remove front strut assembly from car.
    7. Use a spring compressor to compress the spring.
    8. Remove top from strut by loosening nut at top.
    9. Install camberplates and tighten top nut.
    10. Loosen spring compressor.
    11. Put everything back in the car by following step 6 -1.

Like I said this is how I think I have to do it but please comment on this if I'm forgetting something, doing something wrong!
    Also I would like to know if I need some special tools to do the job? Any info on torque settings for the bolts/nuts would also be good!

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Bozu
    Last edited by Bozu; 10th May 2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: torque settings
    ADM AE86 Levin

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

might have to loosen the top nut on the sway bar mount to get the LCA down far enough. apart from that i think that method is ok.

Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

And the cambertops just easily go over the top of the strut? I don't need to press them on or anything? Same with taking the stock tops off?
    Also any things I have to look out for regarding the alignment or something? Or can't you really go wrong there as there is only one way to bolt it all up...?
    ADM AE86 Levin

Name
    Derek
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The most annoying thing you'll find is that the top nut holding the upper plate to the strut will be hard to get off with hand tools as it'll just turn the piston inside the shock.
    Best bet will be to crack it when theres still weight on it (before you jack the car up) and it'll require a quick whack to break free... or a rattle gun.

And 86 shells are far from straight, so you can pretty much ignore the marks on the camber tops as they're useless to go by.
    So getting a wheel alignment after installing them would be a good idea... plus thats why you got them right? More alignment options.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

as stain said, a rattle gun makes things easy. i would avoid loosening the nut on a stock strut setup as you won't be able to get all the spring compressors on whilst everything is still on the car.

you will need a wheel alignment after!

Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

Yeah I got a rattle gun that I can use, only have to get some spring compressors.
    Offcourse I'm getting a proper wheel aligment, also because I replaced the tie rod ends last week.
    ADM AE86 Levin

Name
    Mark
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Crack the main shock nut while the weight is on the car, then jack it up, wheel off, undo the bottom bolts and the main bolt. now depending on your spring length you might not need the spring compressors! I had mine on king lows and never bothered with the compressors! you'll probably need a pry bar or similar to bump the strut off at the base but then just lower it away. Once the struts out undo the three strut top nuts and drop your tops out. now depending on your spring length either sit the new tops on the spring and put the main nut on a little, then poke the strut in and sit the three nuts on. Then use the pry bar to sit the base of the strut in place.
    Now if your springs are too long to fit the tops without compressors then you should fit the tops to the car before the struts go in. then poke your strut into the guard mount the base then slowly lower the car while guiding the strut into place on the tops.
    I've done it both ways and I've never bothered with the spring compressors since lol
    Launceston = Home of the surprise sodomist!!

Name
    Kevin
    State
    ZH
    Country
    The Netherlands

Quick question: Just to double check, do I need any other part when installing the cambertops, like a spring seat or anything, or is it just as simple as it seems? Remove stock top and install cambertops.. (I'm using custom lowered spring with kyb gas sport dampers)

Also anyone knows how to contact BC racing? I tried the phone but no one answers and also no replies on e-mails...
    Last edited by Bozu; 19th May 2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added suspension set-up
    ADM AE86 Levin