Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: upgrading to a more modern car.

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I don't like the argument that sprinters are less reliable than newer cars... you can make any car as reliable as you like. The problem is most people choose to fix things after they break rather than replace them before they do. Whilst it may seem cheaper to to fix things as they go, its really not in the end. When I built my 71, I replaced everything which really wears out. And that's on a car which has only done 102,000k's.

You can make a car as reliable as you want, just go through and replace the things which fail before they do.

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

totally agree with golberg here, great point, if you've got a car that's done a couple of hundred thousand k's of course stuffs gonna start stuffing up, as long as you can replace anything that's under strain or large amounts of use you won't have a problem

Name
    Clinton
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

believe me i would if i could actually afford to. but i cant. thats why im selling up and getting one of those push bikes with a motor on it

FTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by svenmate View Post
    I love how all the SA boys get on board
    Quote Originally Posted by Konakid View Post
    im driving out there with new hydro setup
    Quote Originally Posted by myke90 View Post
    haha i have the exact same picture from when i got my sportmaxx lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    whats with the drift rings? i know they are just a novelty but do they represent or signify anything?

Name
    Jake
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Fully agree with the lads commenting on how with power steering and other you dont needto know how to drive assists, that it feeld rediculous driving a car on the road. I have a datsun 1200 sedan what comparison that is to an ae86 i do not know, however it handles like a mo-fo goes where i want it too, can out turn anything you will throw at it, a.k.a absolutely love its simplistic design that gives me a "man to road relationship" none of this man to power steering pump" crap. Took the old girls commo for a spin its a VX and god it scared me half to death! the fucken powersteering kept going around the round about and wasnt as responsive, i couldnt feel the turning power i had so i was over steering, drive home quick and said fuck ever driving that heap of shit again!

Old school skillz for the win yo!

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

JDM ae86 as daily hands down, if not then another jap rwd car, 180sx-s15

i drive my sisters trueno as a daily 24/7, not crazy mod what so ever, almost standard..
    has air con but needs re gas, PS, no stereo

for what an ae86 doesnt have compared to newer modern cars, its got something else to make up for it and that makes up for the old age of the car

why wouldnt u want to drive ur most loved car as a daily?...
    sure the stuff ups are pissoffs, locked diffs...cut springs...dead shocks...rust...different colour panels...etc.etc., list goes on with these oldies...even with a heavily modded street ae86, to loud, to expensive to maintain as a daily...

i dont know, i rather drive something i spend so much time and effort in to get me from A to B in one piece and is able to do what i want it to when i want it to, then some average FF car everday

i guess i can overcome the no air con, stuff ups, old car in general, cuz i just love driving, and driving an ae86 everyday of the year, ADM and JDM...makes it more worth wild....if i didnt or never owned a ae86, any car will do and anything good is a bonus

once u go ae86, theres no moving on and not regretting
    dose

Name
    Pete
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the thing that is the worst factor about it is also the best, that its an old, outdated, stiff, angled, easy to work on, responsive shitbox

theres alot of things i love about 86's and theres equally as much i hate.

i want to move on from them, so that i look back with fond thoughts, not shit ones. and i feel i built a nice car, that drives well for what it is, and i'll do that with the next one im doing.

that and theres alot of other cars i want to experience, not just be a one horse bandit so to speak

i think you should just enjoy cars for what they are, sample everything

Name
    Danzo
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Ive done the whole second car / modified daily thing and it doesnt work... your daily either ends up getting defected or broken or you pull it off the road to mod it.. If i was going to do it again I would buy the stockest, lowest Km, newest commodore/falcon/ camry/ magna I could get. At least their comfortable and you dont get hassled by cops, you can buy new parts for them from the deli around the corner and your less tempted to do silly things.
    DTF - Danzo Technical Factory

Name
    Erik
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i had a newer 98 model corolla with less then 100k's on it i promptly swaped my mum for her mint ke70 an never thought about it again it was just so much more fun, to make it a decent daily all you have to do is buy decent quality parts, replace your bushes, good shocks, stiff springs arn't harsh as long as you have the correct shocks,

Name
    Tim
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

I'm with goldberg on the point of reliability....

80's jap cars simply are not "unreliable". Most, when treated right, are F-ing bulletproof.....

Driving a car like you stole it, spending service and maintenance money on shit mods and expecting nothing to ever break........... IS unreliable.

my rx7 is more reliable than my old ae86
    my new ae86 is a shell and has just been sitting in the shed for a year
    80's junk but fun nonetheless

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast