Thread: painting bumbers

Name
    Joe
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default painting bumbers

hey guys, hope this is the rite section for this, please move if not, im thinking about painting the bumpers on my trueno flat black instead of gloss black, i want them to look factory as i have just purchased a oem front lip spoiler for it so i was hopping to get the new colour as close to the oem look as possible, so i was hopeing that some one could steer me in the rite direction on what paint to use and how to prep the bumper for paint? thank you in advanced for the help guys

cheers; joe
    stay classy

Name
    dan
    State
    adelaide
    Country
    australia

use satin would look better

there are a few oew bumper paints available look pretty good factory satin finish

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i was going to make a tech article on this today but didnt because the pictures i took for it didnt turn out very well.

1. buy some matte/flat black paint. you will need probably 250ml of acrylic and mix50/50 thinners or 2 cans for each bumper (i buy the cheap fiddly bits from bunnings because its the most cost effective).

2. prime and sand back so the bumper is smooth.

3. spray the bumper using normal spray technique. apply 2-3 coats. it will look smoot flat black.

4. mist coat. apply whilst the last coat of flat black is still wet. holding your gun/can 2x the normal distance (about 40cm) away from the surface cover the bumper with a quick sweeping motion. do this to the whole bumper 3-4 times.

this will cause the paint particles to slightly dry whilst in the air. this will cause them not to run together giving a grainy effect, which looks like the oem plastic's rouch surface

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Roy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Mine were painted before I got mine (So I'm not 100% sure what the oem finish is like but I have a good idea). But I ran down to my local parts store grabbed a few cans of primer filler and some bumper paint (Flat black).

Sprayed about 2-4 coats of primer filler, rubbed it all back to get a good smoothe finish. Hit it with some 400 grit to rough it up.

Then about 2-3 decents coats of bumper paint, the stuff I bought has a different texture, it seems to go on alot thicker and doesn't run. Mine came out pretty well. But I was going for a smoothe flat black finish, whereas you will probably want the ripple effect.
    Last edited by Dish; 20th February 2009 at 08:02 PM.

Name
    Joe
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

riojin: thanks mate thats a great help, and thank you for the tip to get the grainy effect thats just what im after

dish: thank you mate will pop down to repco or the likes and get some paint and primer, any pacific brands that i should use? ive used k and h for something else and it seemed pretty decent, so yea may use that or if any one can recomend something better im all ears, thanks for the replys guys!!

cheers joe
    stay classy

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Roy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

K&H is the only shit I like, everything I've painted I try and use K&H. Works best for me. Only problem is the bumper paint wasn't K&H I had to buy some other brand. But still went well. I think it was Septone bumper paint.

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

yeah used septone paint, only use the bumper bar prime,its black anyway and gives a nice coat, but i wouldnt suggest using the paint from experience as it isnt as flexible and cracks, i did a write up on the old forums when i painted my front bar with lip, dont have to do anything special just prep the bumper as per the instructions on the can (i think.. light rubbed down and wax/grease remover) then spray light coats
    Last edited by dori_86; 20th February 2009 at 11:36 PM.

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

heres some of the pics from it

E-Famous (Remeber your roots)
    Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Win!

marvis.

Name
    Clinton
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

IF YOU USE THIS PAINT YOU WILL DIE!!!!!!!

seriously though, dont EVER buy that paint if you want a quality finish. it is $3.17 for a reason. i would rather not paint it at all than to use fiddly bits. the only thing its good for is doing stencils. and even then its still terrabad paint.

if you like to shop at bunnings id like to recomend actually white knight for the most cost effective. even though i dont like the quality of that paint, it is definatly 1 hundred billion times better than fiddly bits...

fiddly bits is the crap that people buy to inhale the fumes. definatly not for the cost effectivness of painting something.
    Last edited by Clinton; 21st February 2009 at 02:20 AM.

FTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by svenmate View Post
    I love how all the SA boys get on board
    Quote Originally Posted by Konakid View Post
    im driving out there with new hydro setup
    Quote Originally Posted by myke90 View Post
    haha i have the exact same picture from when i got my sportmaxx lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    whats with the drift rings? i know they are just a novelty but do they represent or signify anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast