Thread: What is Group N1

Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default What is Group N1

I did a search, to no avail and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I want to know about Group N1 Racing.

Was it international or Japan only? Was it based on FIA Group N or was it an alternative name for Group A or was it something else again?
    "There is only Bathurst, the rest is just waiting." Allan Moffat.

Name
    Jamie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

N1 was very limited modifications, I have a Japanese AE86 book which explains all the classes from N1 through N2 to Group A, lots of pics but unfortunately in Japanese, think of them as modified street cars, suspension mods, minor engine mods, exhaust manifiold had to be kept, complete inlet tract including airbox etc. Going off the photos I have in this JDM book(If anyone knows Japanese I can scan and send the pages as they look like they go into quite some detail on the classes) Standard size brakes, but coilovers allowed, engine looks completely standard except for oil catch can, interior looks completely standard except for drivers seat and cage. From what I can work out they are discussing the merits of a 3dr body over a 2dr body due to the 3dr having better drag figures(cd 0.35 for 3dr vs cd 0.38 for 2dr), instrument cluster is different (aftermarket guages) rim size looks like 6x13 or 6x14.

Like I said if someone can translate Japanese I'll scan the pics but there is bloody heaps of pages in this small book dedicated to the classes and then on some guy building one up and racing it.
    Hachiroku since 1994

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedSpirit View Post
    When i grow up I wanna be just like Uncle Frak Frak.

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Hey, N1 is still being continued in some parts around Japan. I raced my ae86 in N1 for 2 races last year, I'm pretty sure it was Japan only.
    What Frak said is correct, it is a very limited class basically designed for lighly modified street cars. However most of the cars that ran in it, although street registered, did not really get driven on the road very much.
    There are restrictions on engine mods, bigport 4age - extractors OK, intake manifold was std only, HG OK, Cams std only, computer std, I knew some guys ran a small port block with a bigport head though.
    They ran a control tyre (Dunlop Direzza star spec in either 14" or 15", obviously the 15s were more popular),
    There were certain restrictions on weight reduction too... must run original doors and body, FRP bonet and front guards and hatch were ok, as were perspex rear glass. Most guys stripped absolutely everything out of their cars to make them lighter.
    Suspension mods, like Frak said, coilovers were OK but LCA, rear arms and all sus pick-up pts had to remain standard.

The idea behind the class was to allow guys to run a low budget track car and still be competitive.

My car is OK but nothing amazing, check out my if you're interested

Oh and Frak, if you can post up a scan of the section of the book that describes the different classes that would be awesome.
    If I get the time I could try to translate some, or at least sections of it.
    Last edited by RobertoX; 11th June 2011 at 07:44 PM.

Name
    Jamie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

No problem, I'll start scanning tomorrow, the book is called "AE86 as street fighting machine" and was published in 1985. I guess the N1/N2 rules are probably quite far from what was originally invisaged.
    Hachiroku since 1994

Name
    Jamie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

This book is really good with great technical information.

Hachiroku since 1994