Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Rack Tech

random question. does the quick rack mess with your auto return for the signals? as you are not turning as much hence not "clicking" it to return.
    how much turns lock to lock is the QR?
    my stock aw11 was 3.2 from memory and now is 3.5 with AJPS lock spacer, also didnt need to cut 8mm of tie rod end

Name
    Clint
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Shouldn't affect the return signal. It's 2.5 turns lock to lock.

Name
    Oliver
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

It DOES effect the return for signals. If its less than maybe 80 degree corner, does not un-latch the indicator, but i have learned to manually un-latch, not a biggie.

Quick rack is heavier at low speed, but still bearable. At higher speed can swoop through round-abouts with only 90 degree rotation, pretty awesome.

QR is 2.5 lock to lock, std is 3.3

Overall lock is reduced with the Quaife rack, but then improved with PS Arms. I still consider it a worthy addition.
    Last edited by Oly AE86; 1st March 2009 at 09:27 PM.

Name
    Steve
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Still mystified as to what mine could be. Its less than 3, but more than 2.5.

Has powersteering arms, but rack has been changed to something manual while in Japan.

Steering is pretty heavy. Indicators rarely go off by themselves. Doesn't have massive lock either.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I am still looking into all aspects off this, searching international forums also, even japanese language ones.

I now suspect sundee86 has a longer rack, not a stock GTV one. (His whole car was fiddled with at a tuning shop, yes?)

And 86coupe probably has a GTV rack.

If anyone wants to help me, please take your rack boot off and measure rack stroke just as sundee86 did. Also total turns lock to lock. I am getting closer to nutting out these differences.

The Japanese are ordering quaife racks from England as the traditional Japanese places like TRD no longer make a quick rack for them. There used to be a Cusco quick rack also.

And other Toyota racks can be modifyed to get extra travel (as I did today). So if your cars an import, who knows what was done.

I suspect a regular GTV rack only has a stroke of 130mm (3 turns lock to lock), but with PS knuckles it achives the same steering angle as other cars.

An "ADM" AE86 with regular manual rack has a stroke of 144mm. That combined with PS knuckles makes the tyre start to rub on the inner body, the max angle you can have. I can't see how the GTV had more stroke than that. To use more steering angle, you need to have longer control arms.
    Last edited by Jonny Rochester; 2nd March 2009 at 10:46 AM.

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah johnny that's correct I suspest it was Fiddled with at jubiride, just going from all the jubiride bits it's got on it and it's also pictured on their web page. I wish I knew what rack it has! So johnny u think the rack is different to a gtv rack? I max out and scrub the fronts on the inner at about 3.6 of the 3.9 turns. I wanna get to the bottom of this!

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

ah it's good to hear that a quaife rack is good, makes me a lot happier now that i've got one.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Note: still looking for info if you have it, but below is what I think from limited info, but cafefull measuring and calculating of what I do have:

All manual racks (except aftermarket quick racks) use the same pinion (6 teeth) and gear ratio. (About 43.3mm rack movement per turn). All rack housings (at least the manuals) are of the same width, 400mm +-1mm.

AE86/AE85 with power steer
    rack width: 530mm?
    stroke: 130mm
    turns: 3

AE86/AE85 with manual steer
    rack width: 552mm
    stroke: 152mm
    turns: 3.5

AE86 GTV manual
    rack width: 530mm
    stroke: 130mm
    turns: 3

The GTV has the same steering rack ratio, but the resulting steering is quicker only due to the shorter power steering knuckles. Due to the sharper angle the PS knuckles would give, the GTV rack stroke is limited. Both the regular manual cars and the GTV would have similar maximum steering angle.

KE70/AE71 some* manual
    rack width: 545mm
    stroke: 144mm
    turns: 3.3

*The KE70 in Australia shares the same rack housing as the AE86 (400mm wide) and the same pinion and gear ratio, but the rack itself is not as long. Some KE70's in other countrys use the same rack as the AE86.

To achive the sharpest steering angle with the above parts, we use the longer 152mm steering rack (not the GTV one), combined with the PS/GTV knuckles. At this point, the tyre may start to rub on the inner body. To achive even greater steering angle (with either **longer rack, special rack ends, slip on spacers or screw on spacers) you also need longer lower control arms.

Tie-rod ends:
    AE86 steering rod ends are about 190-195mm long, from ball joint centre to end. Due to a narrower rack, the GTV ones are about 208mm long. With longer lower control arms, use RA40/KE30 tie-rods.

Quick racks from TRD, Cusco/Chowini and Quaife are all based on the normal 152mm stroke manual rack. The Quaife one is still available, and has 2.5 turns.

**If you want a custom length rack, you can use a RA60 one and cut it down.
    Last edited by Jonny Rochester; 2nd March 2009 at 09:08 PM.

Name
    Karl
    State
    S.A.
    Country
    Austria

I guess you have a std or GTV rack, PS arms AND aftermarket inner tie-rods. There could be 5-10mm more meat on them and essentially have the same effect as the lock spacer, also more taper in the joint so they don't bind at lock. Mystery could be unravelled by getting under and getting your hands dirty

Run-Free items pictured
    Last edited by Kid Karola; 2nd March 2009 at 10:10 PM.
    RokuSteady : Shakotan - Tsuraichi - Hippari - Onikyan : 神奈川 様式

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hands have already been dirty as u can see from the 1st post,
    rack ends are bog stock because i replaced them myself, the rack measurements are their and the number of turns lock to lock are all on the 1st page... let me have a read of all this info n see what i can come up with...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast