Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No Grunt

Banned

Default No Grunt

Having trouble with the new JDM Levin, when I was buying it the 1st thing I noticed was that it was well down on power. I didnt buy her to wreck her so I just thought, Powers steering, Aircon & cat converter are prob sapping most of the power but its starting to annoy me.
    Heres the symptoms, no power off the line, rev to 4-5000 release the clutch & the car drops to about 800rpm before slowly picking up, goes fairly well above 4000 rpm. The car is unable to complete a dounut from a 6-7000 start.
    So far, I have checked the timing, used injector cleaner, cleaned the air filter, changed the plugs, removed the cat converter.
    Did notice a touch of oil on the dizzy tonight but I will attend to that.
    It drives like a car that has big cams except it has standard ecu & pulleys it idles/runs like a standard lump.
    Whats next,
    Check the fuel pressure, check the injectors, check for a vacuum leak (cant see one).
    Compression test even though there is no smoke & it drives well.
    Stick an F20c in as if

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

"rev to 4-5000 release the clutch & the car drops to about 800rpm before slowly picking up"

^this bit had me curious, is your clutch in any good shape??

but yeah, your dizzy/dizzy cap could be fairly fried (especially if you have aftermarket headers and no heat-shield), coil/ignitor could be on its way out, timing could be off

not many other things it could be imo, i think when rob's fuel pump started dying it had similar symptoms

compression test is always a good idea, but i really don't think that it's the problem in this case

Banned

Im hoping its something easy like the fuel pump or even a clogged filter after the tank, the oil in the dizzy is minor but I will sort it asap, she seems to be firing well. The clutch is fine, driving up hills is a bastard just no torque.

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ahh yep i see. definitely definitely change your fuel filter, especially if its a jap car (some of the small towns over in japan water-down their fuel, unfortunately this rusts the shit out of everything and in turn clogs the pump and/or filter)

robo's fuel filter had a good teaspoon of j-shit come out of his filter when we first changed it

Banned

Will do, theres one back near the tank also? on a JDM car.

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

dont think so man, as far as i remember there's just the one in the engine bay, and the little filter-bag thing attached to the bottom of the fuelpump (inside the tank)

someone with a better memory than mine will have to confirm

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

my mates bigport is like this also... very slug like till 4-4500 rpm then it pulls well, we havent worked out what it is though yet..... (he really couldn't be fucked as he is planning a motor swap soon)

So I take it you threw that exhaust on mate? did you put it on as is or get that dent fixed?
    (not saying it has anything to do with your problem) Did all bolt up fine and all?
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20:

Banned

Got the dent fitted but its about 3 inches short of all the mounting points, bizarre. Must get a section welded in.

Name
    Clinton
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

mine is a slug before 4500rpm too. like 4ac speccin' soon as tvis opens up it runs normally, i noticed it heaps when i aold my bigport 71 the day that i picked up an 86, i was thinking to myself "wow this engine must iof had a flogging". but comp is good, timing is good, spark is good. the only think i havent checked is fuel, and i guess that will be good tomorrow. so i have no clue what is going on, maybe they are 1st gen 4age?

FTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by svenmate View Post
    I love how all the SA boys get on board
    Quote Originally Posted by Konakid View Post
    im driving out there with new hydro setup
    Quote Originally Posted by myke90 View Post
    haha i have the exact same picture from when i got my sportmaxx lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    whats with the drift rings? i know they are just a novelty but do they represent or signify anything?

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

ahh, i also had this with my 1ggue..

it was surgsested to take the intake manifold off and give it a good scrub and clean with carb T/B cleaner. will need another intake gasket. also make sure that the tvis is actually working properly. maybe jammed or sticky.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast