Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The Suspension Setup Thread

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

get a rosejointed panard bar and some cusco/whiteline sway bars from ajps and i would call that a real decent setup.

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

(quote old thread slydar)

QUOTE (sr_rolla @ Nov 23 2008, 07:15 PM) *
    good for bill sherwood, plenty of cars come out with a 3 link, it works, works well and is plenty safe. The theory behind it is solid and its easy to do so whats the problem with giving it a go?

yeah. a 3 link set up. with the 3rd upper link in the middle is semi common (though more so in off road applications), but i cant clearly remember seeing it set up they way you described on any car ever.

the asymmetry of the modified "3.5" link 86 set up is ridiculous, we're not building circle track cars.

you asked if anyones tried it and i just mentioned ive read about some one who had, i honestly dont rate Bill that highly either. but his reports say it was a serious step backwards. if he'd have said something like "hmm not sure, different but hard to say if its better or worse" then maybe. that and it just seems so rigged.

you dont have to think about it for very long to realize its going to give at best somewhat unpredictable handling.

maybe you should try it?

too late for me, that craps all gone in my car.

i agree for sure, if youre going to stick with the un equal arms, then some compliance is worth having. its common knowledge that changing to all rose joint makes the car even more twitchy than it already is. but the rubber bushes already have a lot of compliance.

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

the crown i have in the shed has a 3 link setup, it looks exactly like the rolla/sprinter setup only with 1 arm missing and everything is a little bigger (obviously, the things a tank).

It handles quite predictably, isnt bias to left or right corners and is dead stock and has been for 34 years. The only thing that makes it not nice is the whole cars general squishyness (being a comfort bus) and the incredibly homosexual recirculating ball steering. It smooth as hell, isnt twitchy even at the limit (dont ask) and doesnt have that shitty push understeer at the limit that rolla's have.

I'm not doing it to mine because im going = length and cant be bothered to be honest.

On a side note, i do like the way you did your 4 link slydar, different.

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

(quote old thread ajps)

steering box is so shit!

anyone driven a DR30 or something with Power steering box? so fail

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

(quote old thread mattyn)

Ok, cheers for the advice.

another thought regarding alterantives due to parts availability/the lack of.
    called toyota: Can only buy the bars with new bushes in them.. this is not what i need/expensive!!
    called fulcrum: they have polyurethane at Duro 70, which old mate touted as the equivalent to rubber.

also here is some info i found.
    " Note that poly bushes come in (at least) three durometers, or hardnesses. Duro 70 is much like rubber in its hardness, which duro 80 is a little harder and is most commonly used. Duro 90 is harder again. Importantly, the higher the duro, the more easily the bush will pivot on the crush-tube so if low stiction is needed when under load, a higher duro should be used. "
    [

so for those in the know regarding polyurethane bushes: if i was to go for this duro 70 polyurethane at the body end of the trailing arms would this act as a equivalent alternative to rubber for my purposes.
    (note: other end is rose.. must serve for compliance in an unequal length setup AND vibration and noise suppression.)

Oh and if any one knows of rubber bushes which fit into the trailing arms this would be GOLD!!!

thanks all for the replies and advice!

Matt

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

TRD

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

(quote old thread fantapants1)

did u have a bad day dim.... all im seeing is one word answers tongue.gif

usefull one word answers though .... 2thumbs.gif

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Rationing sylables perhaps? tongue.gif

Mattyn: pretty much anybody who makes eurothane stuff should be able 2 make you something to suit if they dont have stock already. Like slydar said tho, pretty sure TRD would have what u need in stock

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

trd make a rubber bush. its not poly. theyre not cheap. but theyre also very well regarded. chris oshanessy took poly bushes out of his IP car and put them in and said they were better. i think he said he felt there was less "rear steer".

seeing as youre servicing a 4 link set thats already worth money, i think itd be pretty easy to justify the expense. try palmside (also the quaife distributor) in NZ, they might be able to sort you out, if you dont have a better trd source.

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Firstly, thanks for breaking the continuity of it all, secondly, yes it does make a noticable difference, it makes the diff stay as close 2 centered as possible if the bar is level.

Not as good as a watts linkage setup but its still pretty good.
    Last edited by sr_rolla; 22nd December 2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: wanna

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast