Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The Suspension Setup Thread

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Firstly, thanks for breaking the continuity of it all, secondly, yes it does make a noticable difference, it make the diff stay as close 2 centered as is possible with a panard bar if the bar is level

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

would there be any merit to using possitive camber roll center adjusters to move the scrub radius closer to neutral and then using longer control arms to correct the change in camber? This would be a crude way of doing what TRD did yes?
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

yeah that would work, i have thought about the idea but i came up with the same conclusion, yes it is a bit crude.

Also, there will more than likely end up with clearance issues with regards to the brake disk.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I will have a look and see how far my arm is off the disk, so have you measured how far the scrub radius is out with different wheels on your car? I am unsure of how you could even easly measure it.
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i have no idea how to acurately measure scrub radius to be honest, i'll have 2 do a bit of reading arfter i recover from nye methinks

Name
    Zac
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

that was damn awesome thanx for putting that up... answered alot of questions ive always had... in short i suppose you want all arms to be parallel to the ground yes?

regarding the 4link on a live axle and in relevance to drifting... if youre taking a left corner (grip) the diff will pivot so that it is also pointing left no? which will then in turn bring the rear end in towards the corner and therefor causing you to turn in harder to make the corner so on so forth more stress on the front and therefor understeer... right (like the opposite of what all wheel steer is supposed to do)? so, very bad for grip... but would you agree that it would be better for drift? going around the same corner at full lock sideways, under throttle, having the diff angle like that would cause the diff to want to centre the car eh.... so more stability? haveing the diff angle point up would also cause more tyre spin under accel? any of this apply to IRS?

regarding scrub radius... bolt on spacers would cause WORSE handling no? better track but horrible scrub radius... this relevent to the rear?
    correct me if im wrong but using s13 suspension in the front would be beneficial for scrub radius... whats your opinion on s13 suspension in corollas/sprinters?

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

generally, keeping the arms parralell to the ground or slightly off parrallel (so when the car is loaded of hits a bump they are parralell) is a good start yeah. In drift i would still aim for a paralell setup, its more predictable and easier to tune (ask slydar). I personally have no idea if pinion angle would affect an IRS rear, my thinking says that it shouldnt but i could be wrong.

With the silvia front end, i personally think it is a horrible setup, ball joint is at a shitty angle, tie rod end is at a shitty angle and the steering has the ability to invert or jam on full lock. Basically you are fixing the scrub radius problem by creating 3-4 new problems. I know i will cop crap over this but these are the facts. I would suggest a strut based around a AE86 style strut (XT130 etc) and make a good coilover arrangement using a quality damper based of that, then get rose jointed caastor rods (cusco make the best setup ive seen) and some new bushes throughout the front end. Other than that, GReddy make a complete replacement system for sprinters that is quite good but expensive. for the rear get a set of Gilly's GAZ coilovers and work from there.

Brilliant thread.

What are some reputable workshops in melb that really know these cars?

Centreline have any idea>?

Name
    beau
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

No idea man, i'd suggest asking in the vic forums

Nps, didnt realise you were in NSW.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast