Thread: Diff pinion seal

Name
    Kev
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Default Diff pinion seal

grr thanks to tom at drift prac night i have a doubt as to the ease of doing this now. (thanks man)

he was saying something along the lines of having to go through the backing of the diff remove the centre and remove the pinion to replace the seal. now seriously wtf.... true or not true?? can someone please either confirm or deny

Bad Email Address

yeah if its your pinion seal leaking you will have to take diff centre out of carrier and remove pinion and the only way to knock the seal out is from the opposite end (being from inside the carrier) and if the flange locking nut is taken off you need to set preload again on the pinion.

not to say you MAY be able to just remove the locking nut and flange and try to get seal out while still all assembled leaving the pinion and diff together, but you might not be able to get preload correct. (not really recomended but let me know if someone has done this)

also when you get the tailshaft flange out check to see if where the seal runs on has made a groove in the flange and if it has, to order a speedy sleeve to cover the groove along with a new seal

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Not exactly my words but close enuf

It can probably be done the other way aswell. Never tried so don't know, only what ive been told/read
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Name
    Aaron
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

yeah kev, sadly the way the design is its best to pull the centre out and redo it properly.

i heard this story before and thought i would try cause i was rebuilding my diff any way, and i didn't feel confidentint the way it was going to go back together. the collapsable spacer is easy too collapse when doing up the pinion nut.

if you do it this way you might as well change all the bearings and shit too. you can buy new collapsible spacers for like ten bucks so make sure you get one of them too if you redo your diff.

Bad Email Address

where about do you get the collapsible spacers from? i just reused mine but not to confident in it lasting long

Name
    Aaron
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

from toyota. i have also bought them from all parts on scarborough beach rd.

Bad Email Address

do they cost something rediculus being genuine, most other stuff i tried getting from toyota takes stupidly long to get aswell

Name
    Aaron
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

nah. they were really reasonable. from memory they had it in stock. if you wanna go toyota, go to city toyota on aberdeen street. i use alot of dealerships for parts and they are by far the best. so far other than castle hill in nsw they are the only toyota dealership that doesn't give me the shits when ordering parts and they always get it right.

Name
    Kev
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

you guys done this work to a JDM or ADM rear axel? been told by Ben and Steve I can just go through the front for the pinion seal

Bad Email Address

i checked toyota on the weekend and the only one in WA is in broome so i might be chasing it from therebut i havent tried anywhere else.

My diff is a JDM but ive had to replace other parts along the way so i had to pull the whole thing out anyway.
    i dont see why you couldnt change the seal from the front? but personally i would take the centre out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast