Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Effects of smaller steering wheel?

Bad Email Address

Ok I have just installed a smaller steering wheel in my sprinter, but I cant drive it for some time yet as its off the road.

its 330mm in diameter, and feels quite different to the previous bus wheel that once rested there. (and 10x as sexy)

has anyone else put a smaller steering wheel in their 86,

if so, what was it like when driving ect.

Bad Email Address

oh yeh, I have plans for a quick steering rack sometime down the track as well.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

yeah im using a 330mm (i think) nardi wheel
    havent driven it with it, been waiting for a seat rail for some time now lol

i have the smallest avaliable momo race... very heavy... with the quafie it was intolorable at slow speed... reverse parking became a fitness first work out... got rid of it and am rather content with just the momo race and PS arms

Bad Email Address

(ShiRi)

how small is that momo race wheel?

-did the quaife kit make it worse, I thought that it would make it easier with a smaller wheel...

-with the PS arms, I thought this mod worked the opposite way round, ie: non power steering arms on a power steering model? (must read that article again)
    how much of a difference do they make?

sorry for all the questions...

just want to work out the best set up for steering.

I noticed it being heavier when turning on the spot and it takes more turn to reach lock, didnt know how it would feel when driving though.

cheers

Bad Email Address

Just read the article about the PS knuckles, I think I worked it out now, as you said, so the PS knuckles are used on non PS models to improve steering response..... I got a bit lost with the explanation in that article.

how hard are the PS knuckles to find and where would I find them most likely..?

i think the wheel is 320mm ill measure later..

the quafie made it much worse... it was terriable for daily driving and it took forever to acctually get used too. once i got going and used it for a little while i got a bit more used to it it was okay for driving on normal roads with no traffic... i imagine its perfect for a circut... but when i took it to mountains my arms wern't strong enough to get decent locks to locks on quick reflex corners. I gave up on it cause my car is a daily and sold it off pretty quickly to a guy building a circut car.

PS steering arms = more lock, not as heavy as a quafie rack but still heavier than standard

Bad Email Address

ok cool, thnx for the info

Oldschool Member

I think the nardi wheels are a good compromise for street.

Not stupidly small, but not busdriverTM. The PS knuckles give you more lock, not less turns lock to lock

smaller wheel - power steering = more turns lock to lock

I use a 350mm wheel with "extenders" as I call em (similar to the things this company sells . Makes the steering a lil lighter and gives you better angle, which kinda helps on the track, but I dunno if it'll be any good on the street.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast