Thread: 20v RWD conversion help

Oldschool Member
    Name
    tadd
    State
    nsw
    Country
    aus

had a read of several articles about 20v RWD conversion for sprinter, and I'm going to 20v my sprinter but wonder if anyone have information about how to set up a DLI/coil/igniter/crank angle sensor considering I'm going to use an aftermarket computer(EMS stinger/Microtech LTX).

And also what parts do I need to get and where to buy.(as cheap as I can find)
    Thx

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

FunkDoc knows all
    wait for him to reply to this

Oldschool Member
    Name
    tadd
    State
    nsw
    Country
    aus

thx D1_spec, atm I got 3 choices of used aftermarket ecu , they are EMS stinger version3, Microtech LTX8/LT8??) so would someone pls tell me which one I should go considering i have a motor will no wiring and no factory ecu which means I need a standalone unit. Also I would like to know if I'm able to use the CA18DE's coils and igniter which is someone's left over.

Bad Email Address

hi dude, ive done the wiring on nightdevils sprinter (see craigs 86 projects in members cars), both he and i are running microtech computers. i have an LTX 8s and craig is using an MTX 8 bothe with DFI (direct fire ignition) using 4 ignition coils, 1 for each cylinder.

i have found microtech to be very reliable and most of my friends swear by it, a few other friends find they prefer EMS.

to purchase i microtech, you must inform them of what motor you are running as well as how you are running it (eg. NA, supercharged, turbo, and the ignition system you want, coil igniter through dizzy or DFI), they will then find a suitable computer and base program it to run the engine. but it still needs to be fine tuned on a dyno.

you will be supplied with a computer (may be one or two units dpending on model and ignition setup), a loom about 2m long, an instruction manual displaying the wiring installation diagram with plug descriptions and plug pin to wire connections on computer. its fairly simple to do if you have a basic understanding of auto electrical.

as for the coils, you can go out to repco and purchase Bosch ignition coils for around $50 to 60 each, i think mine were listed as standard coil replacement for a later model telstar, i can get you the model no if you like.

seeing as 20V dont have CAS, the computer will use your dizzy find engine timing, no spark leads need to go to it but there are 3 or 4 wires that connect to it and go directly to the computer. doing you ign this way gives you very flexible ign timing curves to suit any fuel you want to run.

craigs car fired up first time after the rewire and sitting around for about a whole year, mine had a little trouble with the wrong base program being loaded but once that was fixed it fired up first time also.

a microtech will cost you about 1200 depending on who you get it from or if you know someone, coils around $50 each, and optional extras include a handset (up to 250 i recommend getting one, it displays all engine data and stats, or a microtech dash a bit pricy around 800 i think, has all digital displays of engine stats and shift warnings etc). you will also need to purchase plugs to suit your injectors, dizzy sensors etc, could cost up to around 300 for new aftermarket plugs to cover your whole engine.

i hope this helps you out

Oldschool Member
    Name
    tadd
    State
    nsw
    Country
    aus

thx a lot for explaining every bit so briefly Screech, its really helpful.
    so does microtech supply dizzy sensor at all?

Bad Email Address

na mate, the sensor is in your dizzy already, from factory. its the little four point star on the dizzy shaft with a little black thing mounted very close to it underneath the rotor button.

it is whats called an inductive pickup. it uses magnetic pulses transformed into electrical signals that tell the computer when to fire the appripriate coil.

your instruction manual will tell you which computer wires to connect to which pin on the plug on your dizzy.

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Ummm... i think screech has covered it pretty well.... Thats pretty much what i did... Cap over the dizzy to give me the clearence... used the trigger sensor inside the dizzy for my motec... and use aftermarket coils for the igniter...

Oldschool Member
    Name
    tadd
    State
    nsw
    Country
    aus

well, thx a lot for the 20v experts here

now I wanna ask what do you guys do with the water line? do you guys use a water relocation block like this?

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

umm...yes... but mine's like a 1/4 of that size and i run remote thermostat....
    U'll find that its pretty tight up in there too...

Oldschool Member
    Name
    tadd
    State
    nsw
    Country
    aus

so do you know who made those kits (prefer sydney) and how much do they go for normally?
    are those kits a must when doing the this conversion?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast