Thread: SC12 Charger

Brought 4AGZE recently and when pulling the pipes and intercooler off to prepare for RWD i found that they were quite dirty and oily.
    Just wondering what would be the best way to clean the internals of the charger and what would of caused this?
    I did notice that the breather line located from the cam cover to the top of the inlet manifold was where most of the shit must of come from, during the conversion i am adding an oil catch can, will this help reduce this?
    Cheers

Luke

Name
    Justin
    State
    DC
    Country
    USA

coz the oil is in the charger you will always get something in the pipes if the chargers dosen't seal right, I had the same thing when i did my conversion. degrese the pipes your going to use and fill the charger with the right oil! and keep checking the charger oil level.

Bad Email Address

this is perfectly normal to find this.. mine were grubby as F$#% think of it as anti corrosive , most of it is due to the oil breather from the cam cover to the TB intake pipe.. either take this off and chuck the hose behind the engine, or place a catch can in between them.. then use carby cleaner to clean out your I/C piping, T/B but try not to get too much into the actuall super charger.. they can compress liquids, but i wouldn't go pouring the stuff down there! clean out your inlet manifold with some more carby cleaner.. but whilst you have it all apart check the gear oil in the s/c and top up if necisary.. even undo the filler and pour out the old stuff and give it a change.. you can use castrol something can't remember, but a mate of mine (works at Holden) just gave me a bottle of GM supercharger oil.. i got it for nothing, but he said that it's only like $12 a bottle (110ml) which is pretty much the capacity of the gear case on the S/C

you shouldn't have any more probs one you clean it out.. or it will never get as bad as that at least

Bad Email Address

incorrect gear case oil will go through it like prunes in an 80 year old as sprinterboy said.. so if you find it again.. maybe add a little thicker gear oil.. as long as it is a hypoid gear oil, above 70w i think off the top of my head it sould be ok..

Name
    Justin
    State
    DC
    Country
    USA

60ml MAX! read the manual!, I use a ful synth auto gear box oil as it was $15 for 500ml. the toyota stuff is $40plus for 50ml!

Bad Email Address

i thought the gear case took about 100ml cos i rememberd i have to at least get 2 of the toyota genuine syringes.. just fill it up to where the dip stick reads full, there will be oil left in it even if you tip it out so that might give you a flase reading of how much is really in there..

Cheers for the info.

Other questions just out of interest when preparing the the air intake into the throttle body by reversing 180 and creating the 10ml spacer plate to clear the sensor, one of the breathe holes will be blocked by the spacer does this effect running etc?
    Also what amount of space is left at the back of the engine in regards to the rear water piping hanging out the back of the head that goes to your heater and the coil packs which are also mounted there, any issues or hassles here or is just a nice snug fit?

Thanks

Luke

Bad Email Address

water housing should be fine in an AE86..

the hole is fine to block off..

the coil packs need to be moved however, you can just sit them on top the ex cam cam cover like i used to..