Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disc brake rear end vs Drum brake

Name
    Darren
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

just wondering about jdm rear diff thinking of buying one for lsd but i heard the disc brake were not as good as drum brake. anyone shed some light

and what would u roghly pay for one

Oldschool Member
    Name
    mike
    State
    qld
    Country
    australia

jdm rear= min 1g
    t18= 200ish

Name
    Darren
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeh i have a t-18 with 4:1 ratio locked diff but i want to go lsd as i use my car for a daily driver as well and i only have 1 point on my license so i dont want any more attension from police

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Depends what ur using it for... disc brakes would be better on the track... for drifting... drums would make the hand brake action stronger and more bite... but if ur not gonna use hand brake to drift... the disk setup with a brake bias valve will make ur car easier to setup brake bias wise.... very easy to make a car oversterry under brakes with brakebias valve.... never tred with drums so cant comment (it may or may not work)... each have their advantage...
    Overall...its hard to argue that drums are better than discs in my opinion... but the cost is a big issue here.... JDM disc rear ends are bullshit expensive nowdays... The disc conversions people are talking about might be the best bet.....

P.S. i can yank on my handbrake with the disc setup and it'll lock semi slicks at pretty much anyspeed in a straight line... even easier if the car was unbalanced... A lot of is to do with the pads ur using and how well setup the handbrake is... took a lot of stuffin arround to get everything true/straight and accurate...but the results is fantastic!!

Name
    Joel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Keep current diff setup and purchase a 1, 1.5 or 2 way LSD.

A brand new mechanical lsd will serve you very well and will cost around the price of a JDM lsd disk brake rear...with an unknown condition 2nd hand lsd.
    AE86 4AGE "Slowly but surely"

Name
    Darren
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

cool thanks for the info where would i get a 2 way lsd alot of new ones i found were around the 1200+ mark thats why i was thinking of going a disc brake with lsd already

Name
    alex
    State
    wa
    Country
    australia

weather you go JDM disk or T18 drum, or any other T series rear, you still have to buy the same LSD, same cost etc. No difference. If you buy a JDM rear with an LSD, its either a stock LSD or a second hand aftermarket (TRD/Cusco etc). You can also get the same stuff in a T18 diff, no difference.

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Secondhand LSD? I've got one and its only good for a few weeks. Should have bought a new one instead

One advantage of a disc rear end is they usally come with 4.3 which is good.

Bad Email Address

true you MAY get an LSD in the disc brake setup.. MAY.. but you would prolly need to rebuild it anyway.. stick with the T-18.. if you were to take your drum linings to a truck brakes place they will rebond them with some commercial type bondings which bite a shit load harder, and resist the fade.. i think the only real huge advantage over drums is discs can disperse the heat a million times better.. the brake bias valve should work.. same principal!? how bout you just get me a freebee Jack and will try it on mine.. hope he falls for it..opps shoudln't have typed that bit..

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

haha... yeah... i'll rip mine so i dont have rear brakes and put bubbles in my $50 worth of fluid...
    but yeah... anyways... the only reason i have doubt is because even when u tighten (most... ie. willwood,tilton) brake bias valve to the limit... its still not completely stopping all the fluid (maybe reduce pressure by 60% etc..).... and wheel cylinders for drums run a fraction of the pressure of disc calipers.... thats why i say maybe.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast