Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Coilovers

Bad Email Address

trunosedan thanks for the reply good how you will finally leave someone thread alone now . Nice how you didn't answer about the springs binding but hey...
    And please don't pm me as it is a waste of my inbox "if you want to talk about this any further reply to my pm, i wont be replying in this thread again unless absolutely necessary......" NO pm just get lost . I don't know who this person you think i am is but the name rings a bell.

"cutting and welding yep... that is all done by steve at a spec, havent had any issues yet" yes mc68 i am sure thats not going to be engineered for the road !as no cutting of and rewelding of any suspension part is legal . And now also if you get your car log booked by CAMS and that item fails you are liable But don't worry i spoke to a guy who was at the last oran park drift night who has a white gze there {only sprinter there i think}. He had his suspension build by a guy in melbourne who made the s13 suspension fit with normal coils and non welded lca . He is going to ask him what lca he used for that conversion as it gives 2.5-3.5 camber with a normal strut top as well .

Still anyone got any more pictures of rear ones ? we really haven't got much info on the rear yet ?

Yeah joel good to see wheel bearings are issue to that your conversion has fixed

Name
    Joel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

S13 lower control arms are far too long to use in an AE86, plus the width of the bush end that bolts into crossmember is too wide.

A-Spec Steve has fabricated so many S13 to AE86 control arms and has never had an issue. Crab and myself have been using em for over a year now. CAMs have no issue with fabricated bits, no more than someone's custom made trailing arms for example.

I have never used any form of RCA's in my setup and admittedly I do get a bit of bump steer. To correct this, what I am in the process of doing is redrilling my crossmember so that the lower control arm bolts about 30mm higher than standard. Thus correcting the angle of the lower control arm and correcting bump steer.

To fit S13 you need:

AE86 camber tops (unless you want to redrill your strut tops to fit S13)
    Some form of shortened lower control arm (speak to Steve at A-spec)
    Longer tie rod ends (I use RA40 corona)
    And of course the S13 struts, steeting arms and brakes

It will all bolt up.

My specs are:

Tein HE S13 coilovers (Height, body height and damper adjustable) with 10kg/mm Buddy Club springs
    Cusco AE86 camber tops
    Cut and modified rose jointed lower control arms
    260mm? S13 SR Brakes with Trust pad (fukn sick!)
    Standard AE86 castor rods with more thread cut for more castor
    Celica RA40 tie rod ends with new ball joints
    Oh an also some new rack ends that rock! (Cheers AJPS)

Regarding AE86 coilovers built here by A-Spec and AJPS, I have driven a hachi and know many hachis that have these and they work fukn wicked. And the shocks well match the springs. If I had the cash i'd love to have a well built set of AE86 coilovers, as S13 geometry isnt quite as good.
    AE86 4AGE "Slowly but surely"

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

your rotors should be 280mm joel...thanks for the reply

Bad Email Address

Just got home and have a reply from the guy that made the s13 conversion for the guy in nsw . His email to me : Hope he doesn't mind me posting it

Sent : Tuesday, 24 January 2006 4:01:32 PM
    To :
    Subject : ae86 coilovers and other suspension>coilovers?conversions

Attachment : ae86tos13suspension0005.jpg {120kb}

Hello Andrew {me astroboy}

Yeah have done that conversion you have seen and many other ae coversions thankfully you know a mate of mine because i don't bother with spooner people anymore .

As far as your question on the lower control arm here is a picture. The latest of many set of s13 front ends is a all bolt in coversion using non modified lower control arms , new one piece steel tie rods , toyota springs type's , trd to kings etc . about ten types of shock for different valving spring rates , and a modified ae86 top mount to add more caster . Also this can be made into coilovers at extra price thats why that conversion was designed . But for all this i will need wheel size thats going to be used and rim offset and your wanted track .

I am nowhere near any of the information at the moment since its all in the workshop with another conversion i am finishing . Which is mutlilink s13 suspension and will bolt into the rear of a ae86 and double wishbone front suspension with front mounted rack conversion.

I will get you more information on the weekend , sorry very busy right now , and yeah let me know what you are after , budget $ etc . I have made setups for track , drift and street , suspension conversion to all levels of cost .

Chat soon

Adam

__________________________________________________ _______________
    REALESTATE: biggest buy/rent/share listings

Fcuk i cannot wait to see the s13 rear and the double wishbone front ends NUTS stuff there Front mounted rack wonder whats thats for !

So it looks like you don't have to cut and weld arms MC68
    also i wonder Joel if the bump steer is a result of the tie rod placement since thats the connection to the rack ? whats the angle of the tie rod joel any pics

Cannot wait for more info and here is the attached file

[URL=http://img39.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ae86tos13suspension00055qw.jpg][

Name
    Joel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

That image just shows an S13 lower control arm fitted into an AE86.

These can be fitted no worries...but they are simply too long and plus the offset of the hub is further out then an AE86. I'm gonna be running 15x8" 0 offset wheels on the front with my setup and with approx stock length lower control arms and S13 struts, plus 35mm or so wider guards, these wheels will just fit under the guards. If I had S13 LCA's i'd have too much track and camber.

As for tie rod angles, when you lower your car, this angle will change. With S13 suspension, by redrilling the crossmember, the angle of the tie rod in relation to the steering rack remains the same, however the lca angle is corrected closer to the stock angle. Bump steer is predominately attributed to the angle of LCA.

E V A N

I can vouch for AJPS coiloverz
    there tops!

Bad Email Address

Joel look at that arm again it's not a s13 one
    I first thought that but i looked closer and the steering bump stop is different to s13 ? and the caster arm mounts are not angled toward the front caster mount like a s13 ones. Plus looking at the subframe end it looks like it has been untouched . The bush size looks the same as standard .

With your next set up how short is your lower arm to fit in 15X8 zero offset ? Since the s13 hub offset is for 35+ ? won't the track be so wide that 35mm wider guard will still stick the tyres out the sides of the car still just that a s13 is way wider than a sprinter i think its 94' inch for a ae86 97" for a s13

With the old subframe trick of relocating the inner lower control arm postion higher i thought that to pivot point of the lower control arm should aways be paralel with tie rod rack inner ball joint ? And moving the axis away from that location only adds to bump steer and leads to toe in under upward movement of the atm normally on mac strut front ends . Maybe relocating the lower ball joint of the lower control arm is possable ? with another longer ball joint ? And what is the tie rod angle in relationship to the lower control arm after to relocation like any better worst ? Maybe those tie rods in the picture solve this problem !

so what lca is that? its not s13....

Bad Email Address

VISION R sell these for the rear, shock absorbers 8 step length and damper system - $550

Name
    Joel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Relocating the lower control arm postition higher on the crossmember works well. The previous owner of my suspension had done this and swears it improves bump steer issues.

I've run the sus for the last year in the standard position, and admittedly above 100km/h you get a bit of bump steer.

My lcas are rose jointed and have a small amount of adjustment. At present I estimate that they are about 10mm longer than standard AE86. So with this, S13 hubs and some 15x8 0 offset wheels, the wheels fill out my 30-35mm widers guards.

I'll post up pics soon when I have my sus in and my wheels on.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast