this is what is in the back of my 86

Name
    Will
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

they based on AGXs silent?

what model are they? or did you buy them with the spring perches already grub screwed on

Veteran
    Name
    Ben
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i would also like to know about those agx coilovers things

Name
    Henry
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

T3 rear coilovers They use a ground control sleeve/lockring etc, eibach 6kg spring, using a KYB short stroke AGX insert - 8 way adjustable. they are
    good i recomend them for sure.

Bad Email Address

Roadsailing> sorry i meant that picture, i dont think that picture is an ae86 kit..

so anyway, the conclusion is they are rubbish?? hrmm.. damn.. seemed an easy way out

back to the drawing board *sigh*

Bad Email Address

Those agx look like a camaro model ? i think i have seen that conversion before
    camaro shocks aren't imported in agx here bummer that .

Roadsailing how are you going with your front shock rates ?

Edit :

Here some misc info i have writen down

TRD Greens
    Front , shock travel length 130mm , body length 375mm
    Rear , shock compressed 285mm , extended 460mm
    TRD Greens
    Front springs , 210mm length 15mm coil diameter
    Rear springs , 240mm length 14mm coil diameter

And most of you i guess are wanting to go to St204 front inserts for shock stroke conversions . As there also available in AGX

Shock extended 519mm , body 333mm , compressed length 355mm
    compression .1 / 294 . 3 / 539 .6 / 785
    rebound .1 / 491 . 3 /1040 .6 /1471

Bit light for high speed rates

Anyone else got any information on measurements ? valving ? at speed rates

Bad Email Address

Looks like i am all alone in this thread doesn't seem to be much information coming this way Does anyone have coilovers on there 86 ?

Well i have made a start

Shocks are R33 GTS fronts koni adjustables rates are fine standard for the 8kg king spring in the picture there are 480mm eye to pin length {but way to hard for the rate i want }. That measurement is a little to long if you mount the spring perch normally with loads of rubber bushings etc so when pulling the shock apart for a revalve just space it internally. Also whilst you are at it gas filling shocks is a pain in the ass so just weld on a valve fitting to the bottom , drill though the shock body so you can regas it to your needs easy.

But if you machine the top mount for the spring to located the shaft from any non linear movement , and to carry the loading to the body not the shock you can get away with one rubber mount .

This makes the length still around 490mm to the diff eye mount . The spring holder for a 63mm spring is a WRX stainless standard part , the tubing is 304 50mm diameter 2.5mm thick , and the top mount pictures is just machined from solid tubing with a step to hold the tubing { all will be welded later } .

In the pictures its not welded just using a hose clamp at the time to check the measurement to clear the body and locate the spring length correctly . The spring length is a 280mm x 63mm this is the most common size and also you get the benefit of using there progressive rates as well . Interesting fact on the progressive rate springs is the thiner end of the spring is a outside OD of 80mm , and the normal rates are 90mm OD . This makes it easy to push the spring perch up closer to the body than in the pics { pics its 80mm away }

The lower spring perch/mount locates on the body by a C clip that is held captive by the spring threaded tube , this C clip groove is machined into the top of the standard shock . So you need to machine this where your spring length finishes, the groove is 1.990mm from the 42mm shock body . Also the bottom pin needs a bush machined to take diameter change to the smaller 86 / toyota mount .

You drifter guys might want to use the R32 front shock as its 448mm , so with rubber mount etc is 460mm like most drift rear shocks . Also KYB does a R32 non adjustable shock which is very hard and would be perfect for those heavy drift rates .

Oldschool Member

I'll be trying some s13 rear coilovers very soon. Once I get my diff back I will be able to bolt it up and verify it is all good. Im using the Flex model which can dump the shock length without varying the available stroke. I'll take some pics when I am done. Similar to what astroboy has done except with some brand names for my sticker shopping list

Bad Email Address

looks like you're alone in this forum now mate...

you come across as a cynical know it all, that can use the copy/paste function on your PC.

before you go slandering the coilovers i make for AJPS, maybe you should get a hold of a pair, and take a look. they've been engineered to be certain that quality meets a standard. if you want to diss my product, you'd better have some proof. either that, or bash off.

as you seem to be having goes at a few well known workshops around Australia, i hope you are in fact handy with the tools, because pretty soon, no one will want to sell anything to you, or help you with anything. i don't know the extent of your knowledge, neither do i care. i've done research, both through the internet, and trial and error, so i know for a fact that what i do is good, and works. my coilovers were tested on my car to make sure they work. they were street driven, as well as track tested. i don't make shit parts. never have, never will. my name is on the line.

if you want to be a dickhead and keep flaming other shops, like Raceflo, Andy from Motec, AJPS, etc, then go ahead, but it'll catch up with you.

Bad Email Address

There is no Andy from Motec Raceblow , what is it with you SA people you cannot take any different point of view without resulting to threaten people
    Where are these well known workshop ? there unheard off , just pick up any performance based magazine
    { that great stuff to make to a pdf file and sue people with later }

If you product is so good please add a step by step build up to this thread

I Thought that Ajps make those ones pictured ? no not the case i guess

If there so great for sure supply me a set !
    I am after a set built in s13 legs that bolt { no welding of parts etc }in as per this post somewhere , road legal

But be warned that if they don't meet this engineering standards that you talk about and are not road legal Do be so surprised by a knock on your door by the relevant road autoritys { police } in your state to check your paper work that you are certifying them as " street driven " or for street use . You seem to be maybe lacking a mechanical engineering degree well you will be shit out of luck and the fine in this state is a $10.000min and up to 10years? [ might be 20years now in nsw ?} in jail if you are found to be guility of accident leading to injury for defective vehicle modification due to this states vacc rulings of repairers .

Whats the body that approves engineering vehcile modifications etc in that state ? i am sure the roads groups up there will know might drop them a email see whats the go

Simple , build you own stuff for your own car and you a 100% liable , build shit for some else's car and if your cannot sign off on approving it , being it for road or track and you become liable . Selling parts doesn't get you off the hook as well unless you are just reselling non modified parts to be used in standard vehicle fitment . For more information you might want to spend some time with the body in your state going over the laws since you are a workshop advertising such " road legal " products .

Now if you don't have anything else to add apart from cynical comments

Back to coilover information

{ page saved to pdf }

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast