Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Coilovers

Bad Email Address

After reading this post

it got me searching this site and a few others for some real info on what people had done to convert there ae's to coilovers .

Firstly in that post there was a mention about coilovers from Malaysia ? i remember a long time ago reading about some guy in singapore who was build coilovers for ke70's . There was a thread on toolmods but i couldn't find it !!

Anyway first after a little searching for a few pictures info etc all i came up with was the same crap over and over .

There the normal sleeve kits , aftermarket units , conversions to s13 and lots of other types of conversions . But really stuff all about rear coilover conversion .

Some that i have seen , without being on my pc with saved links

same as all that groundcontrol stuff , just parts added to a non coilover shock

another way which isn't a true coilover

also more of the same

more of the same

paradise SMASH YOUR CAR doesn't fit thread on clubpoorag

Toad toda can imagine the AUD $$$$$$$$

Kai power front conversion s13 coilovers

i picture link from that sr thread i posted the other day

more of the same stuff silk road

And lastly a big write up on sw20 and some ae86 conversions

S2k koni coilover in the rear of a 1uz ae86

Anyone got anymore ? Or information that is helpfull or if its shit a reason why ?

NOT like that first thread where someone was bagged for pointing out some information

Bad Email Address

r32 front coilovers in rear of a ae86

Bad Email Address

Now the best rear coilover i have seen yet
    Not pin top mounts
    Pin mount are fine for shock mounts but a pin shock is not designed for side loading forces it will break off at the pin center point .
    As for locally available shocks that can be converted to coilover and you still get a warranty i called Koni & Agx suppliers . Koni will warrant 82 series being converted to coilover if they do the work . Ae86 rear shocks and most that fit in the rear are 80 series {bummer} Agx will not warrant any shock being used in a design that it was not intended . And there are no AGX for ae86 here anyway . The way the shock in that picture has been converted over to a ball joint top mount is a good idea so it doesn't get any side load forces . Wouldn't might seeing any other pictures of top mountings .

Will the body take the stress in that pin mount area ? sure its three sections thick but has anyone needed to reinforce that area ?

Bad Email Address

Ok lets look at some front units that the maker is more than happy with to comment on

Ok just looking at that picture lets first run down what parts i see ! And a rough price

Well firstly

A pair of ae86 struts NOT ke70 struts with the smaller internally diameter i would hope $75

Koni coilover conversion parts , well looks like sleeve fh1020 , maybe thats a 63mm spring so spring seat fh2020 , and lock ring fh3015 and top seat fh4015 .
    Well price trader might be about $180? , spotted a group buy a long time ago somewhere and was really cheap at like $150ish .

Inserts going off that list "KYB excel g or damper adjustable AGX" ok so since when did a excel have a front spring rate of more than 2.5kg ? even add maybe another 30% if its running maybe some kings lowering springs . So AGX , no OEM KYB ae86 aftermarket shock are avaiable or is going to have a compression and rebound rate close for a high spring rate . Or are any with a short stroke ? maybe the insert is a st205 , sw20 rear , st185 gt4 or whatever paul has in stock atm . $300-$350 maybe for shocks .

Springs TRD ? pinks no such spring , who makes pink springs STI . Do there make 60-65mm coilover diameter NO . So i am guessing that maybe there local ? Browns in melbourne ? Aurora spring works in South Australia ? 6kg at what length ? normal 250mm 280mm ? or 200mm with a spacers spring or tender spring ? nah it looks about 200mm but how does a 200mm spring not bind with about 160-180mm of travel ! i guess it doesn't Well browns are about $80 a pair of springs , kings $120-$155 .

Camber tops , well with the spring seat not being spacered down any really camber adjustment will result in the spring mount touching the camber plate . Also you need a tappered spacer to correctly load the top mount pillow bearing . Cuscos knock if the spacing torque is not 100% t3 are a good mount both are about $220-$250 .

So theres some cutting and welding what engineer carried out the metal work to not weaken the strut body ? TP charge about $100-$150 but never cut a strut they always rethread it .

So really depending on what way you go and if the parts are brought in large quanitys ,retail,trade,wholesale? it might cost you $750+ . Well you get what you pay for And you still have the stock crappy brakes

Name
    Johno
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

The basis of my coilover conversion was from clubpoorAG's-->

Just a guideline.

Name
    Joel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I run S13 coilovers in my hachi.

Sure it aint toyota...

but I get:

mad brakes
    solid wheel bearings that dont f*** out every 10k kms
    mass amounts of lock
    my previous wheels now stick out 20mm further (better offset hub)
    some well matched shocks and springs

all for a similar price as AE86 stuff.

But yeh, my main focus is drift and care fairly little about AE86 purism.
    AE86 4AGE "Slowly but surely"

Name
    John
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

^^^^^^

whats the specs on your set up and what was the cost?

ive been thinking of getting some 2nd hand s13 with brake set up's for the front and working out something for the rear?

i know the suspension bolts stright in, but do you have to get other stuff, like different lower control arms? steering arms? or can you jsut bolt stright in with that too?

hey joel im in the midst of doing this conversion....

just one question that i have for u...

did u have ur lower arms cut and shut or just used s13 ones as they were...

i lined em up next to each other and the s13 ones are like an inch longer which i figure doesent matter all that much as the adj camber tops can fix that but what about rubbing on the inside of the chasis?

if you could throw some help this way it would be muchly appreciated

as i am also not a purist and only use a great base to only make it better...its like lego..whatever fits goes

so a 13bt is going in soon hopefully... and then i start breaking diffs

thanx

Adam

Name
    Andy
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

the only thing keeping me from going the s13 route is that all the conversions ive seen, the LCA has to be cut and shut to fit...if someone could make a half decent looking one (dont care about legalities) id do it, but otherwise it really does look dodgy

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

you sound a bit like adam - improvedae86,

well...i dont understand the need for aguments....

ae86 struts run the larger diameter shock, and i have seen them sell for $150pr

excel g is a model of shock, not an hyundai excel shock, they run a sealed front strut

who is paul? you mean from NGK?.... $340 pr? lucky u know him on a first name basis!

when did i say they were TRD, they are my own specs, they are 65mm fyi...

you can get cusco top hats for $220pr? ill order some then...pm me your bank details along with your personal details as requested

cutting and welding yep... that is all done by steve at a spec, havent had any issues yet...

i never said mine were the best they are built the same as club4ag and t3, units, obviously with a few different parts...

crappy stock brakes? jack cuu does sprints at QR he still has 'stock' brakes.. he hasnt reported fade...but yeah...

MC68 - steve from a-spec does good ae86/s13 lcas pm him

i could have a rear coilover made, but i want to do more research...

the issue with D2 coilovers was posted on this site, something about the damper adjuster being just a clicker

marky marks d2s bent in his car after 3 months of track only driving....

it looks to me you have run a search, done some copying and pasting etc

like i said my coilovers work, they are available relatively quickly, and are reasonably priced...

if you want to talk about this any further reply to my pm, i wont be replying in this thread again unless absolutely necessary......

what suspension do you run in your car?

all good?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast