Thread: Offset question

Name
    Mitch
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

okay this question isnt of great use to anyone, though its a thought which ive been struggling to work out. In NSW at least, i notice a particular type of wheel on cop cars and some taxis with a protruding central hub, and the rest looks like a common silver steelie.

now the protruding hub appears to move the point of attachment (which is the point from where offset of a wheel is measured) toward the outside of the rim (positive offset). i know in the drifting world, and just people who know what style is, that what we want is DISH, ie a "lip" of metal/alloy/chrome created by a negative offset (normally).

then begs the question, there must be an advantage to the setup the cops use?? does this advantage therefore mean we are sacrificing some type of gain by opting for our negative offset, or dish??

it may be an ease of servicing/maintenance thing, or for strength? does anyone have the real answer or a thought on this?

Bad Email Address

Offset is used to create extra track or/and wider tires for extra grip or more stable drift depending on hp.

Regarding what the police/taxi use, they are wide cars with more track than other cars, positive offset can mean nothing, also they have a budget to follow.

Name
    Mitch
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

thankyou dorio 86.

its true i guess that pos off could be meaningless, and i understand the track widening benefits of negative offset.

my conundrum is why would they (cops and some taxi) use such a positive offset? can anyone list benefits of it?

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

more - offset increases scrub radius. it gives you more kick back more feel (more steering effort too) more NVH.. for a drift car these are usually all positives for a drift car.
    78's