Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Exclamation Fusei Kaizou Sha

Hi guys,

My name is Seamus, from brisvegas. I’m 22, and this is my AE86.

History: I bought the car 3 or so years ago as a basic 4AGTE AE86. After 12 months or so (and various turbo changes/gearbox and diff breakages) I decided to take it off the road and change some things. I think I wanted to upgrade injectors and that was it, but shit got way out of hand. I went from an HKS GT2540, to a Greddy T517Z, then finally to a hybrid TD05/TD06. In its prime it was probably making 210-220rwkw, I only ever got it dyno'd with the T517Z (at summernats, 191rwkw on 15-17psi). It also did a 13.1 at 110mph, with an open diff and third-world tyres. Overall, I was very happy with what was just a ‘stock GZE’ with a turbo. Since then, it’s been sitting around collecting dust.

As it sits currently, the nicest thing you could say about the car is that it's a bomb - it even makes children nearby cry because it looks like it's haunted. Hopefully all of this will change in the next few months as I get my act together. This particular AE86 (despite its horrid appearance) does have some positives though: it's brilliantly straight, and now has absolutely zero rust, the only two things that *really* matter. It's always depressing to see that my fridge has a better paint-job than my car though.

I 'properly started' this project as of a couple of days ago, and I will be doing EVERYTHING (from paint, to engine building, to welding, to anything else you can probably think of) in my garage, at home. I don't have the cash for cheque book racing, plus building the car yourself is half the fun right?

Oh, and I might also add, unlike most who do builds of this kind of caliber, I like to think I DON'T have the hektik ‘I’m too good for you, I’ll kill your mother’ ego problems associated; if you have any questions, or feel like correcting me on anything I say, go for gold, I genuinely would like to hear, especially since it's my first time doing most things on this car too, I appreciate the help/suggestions.

Anyway, enough of the talking, I like pictures to do the talking, and I apologise in advance for your internet connection failing upon trying to read any of my posts, I really do like pictures.

I used to have a wide-body kit on it, didn't like it. Unfortunately it meant 30 or so rivet holes needed to be welded up.. Keen eyes might also notice the rear flares are not from an AE86

A HEAP of holes in the engine bay have been welded up, but it's hard to tell under all the paint-stripper-attacked paint. I’ll be going for the ‘shaved engine bay’ look that seems to be more popular with Honda/Hot-rod fans.

Ah yes, my motor. I basically just want something fun, relatively lag-friendly, and able to chase after far superior cars at circuit/drift days .. all while looking fairly standard. 7AGTE it shall be.

I found a wrecker 7AFE block ‘suit reco’ for bugger all, stripped it down and threw away the pistons/rods, and sent the lot to PLR Brendale (my engine machinists)

I’ll make sure I do a fairly big write-up as I put the motor together.

Most of what will make up my (hopefully) super-strong bottom end.

ARP Head-studs, ARP Main-studs, ACL Rod/Main/Thrust Bearings, and a super-special single-belt harmonic balancer (I really don't believe in the all-alloy version of lightweight "balancers")

BELFAB H-Beam Forged Conrods and 8.5:1 ACL Forged Pistons. I had the machine shop hone the small-end of the conrods to make the whole setup full-floating.

ACL Piston close-up. I REALLY don't see how these are 8.5:1, more like 8:1 when you compare them to the two different variants of GZE pistons. I will work out an exact measurement using a burette and such when the whole lot is assembled.

I had the machine shop balance EVERYTHING. You can see on the bottom of the pistons where material was removed (rough area)

And again on the side of the rod

For interest’s sake, my little scales say that every rod/piston combination came within a gram of 841.5 grams. Belfab list their rods as weighing 460g, ACL list their pistons as 270g and pins as 75g. I'm guessing the other ~36.5g is the rod-bolts and pin circlips? I'll weigh them individually in due time.

The crank. As you *might* be able to see, I spent a dozen (or more) hours removing every little casting flash, I must've taken off almost half a kilo of steel. "Smooth as eggs"

Something seem a little .. different here?

Box of goodies from Toyota

Yeah, exciting stuff like a dipstick, oil strainer, and gaskets and gaskets and ga..

Brand-new RWD water-pump/rear housing/thermostat housing, costs a bomb, but necessary.

New welsh-plugs from repco. As far as I remember, 6 x 35mm and 1 x 40mm plugs will do your whole 7A bottom-end.

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

To match the bottom end, I had an even better head to go with it.

Most of the parts that make up my HKS-built head (not pictured). I bought a head at the start of '08 off an ex-N2 racing car, probably the coolest thing the car will have on it. It's had some epic porting done to it, even the valve guides got a work over (durability was obviously not top priority), it also seems to have had parts of the intake ports welded up to narrow a couple of areas, as well as the injector holes welded up (will have to have them redrilled .. a small price to pay). The top of the head has also been machined (to allow massive lift cams?) and polished to aid oil flow. The attention to detail on it is amazing, something most people would NEVER in their wildest dreams have the patience for.

The parts pictured above include 2mm Oversized valves, Bronze Valve-Guides, TODA Valvesprings, TODA Underbucket shim kit (buckets, shims, retainers, locks, etc). HKS cams not pictured, but I will be running some tame 'street' (256/264 8.3mm) cams to start with.

And for the external engine parts

Some custom cam-gears. They have a bit of surface rust, I’ll probably get them powder-coated black or silver or something, I’m undecided.

AE111 Blacktop Quads with some Japanese custom adaptor plate. As something slightly different to the norm, I will be doing a quad-throttle turbo setup. I know a ~90mm throttle body attached to modified stock plenum would probably be the most power-productive, but I’d rather do something a little interesting.

And to make the plenum, I have various bits and pieces, will hopefully be nice! My main concern is clutch/brake master clearance, but I guess it can't be too hard.

The trumpets fit the flanges pretty well, not even a mm overhang.

And what I’ll also be welding to the plenum, TIAL's newest 'Q' BOV.

Nissan kids will know this turbo better than most. TD06-20GL2 (8cm version). KILLER turbo for mild SR20's, should hopefully go like a shower of shit AND still be fairly responsive.

Sard 700cc injectors should do the job, and flow up too 300 fun watts.

Blitz SBC. Another little necessity, I don't really care what it looks like as long as it holds stable boost.

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

And I bought some pretty cool wheels a few weeks back.

My SSR's. 14x8 -16(?) and 14x9.5 -22. Due to having the wider F-series diff I don't know if i'll fit them, we'll wait and see. And before some smart-ass points it out, one of the rims need fixing, previous owner in j-land went gutter kissing.

The 9.5's, kinda out-of-hand.

Obviously I’ll need a driveline to cope .. a W58 and an F-series diff was the most logical combination that was both very strong (in such a light car), and not overly heavy. I’m using an AZCustom adaptor plate for the W-box, with the bellhousing from a JDM T50 (to relocate the clutch slave to the drivers side, so I can run a well-sized exhaust without boiling clutch fluid). I also had Driveline-Services in archerfield make me up a 3” tailshaft with the biggest unis/yokes they could get me. For the clutch, I found an OS-Giken Twin-Plate that was barely used going for a price I couldn’t refuse, so I snapped that up.

Twin-plate OS-Giken Clutch. I had the clutch modified by 'Direct Clutch' to suit W-series splines.

YR22 Tarago diff, old mounts thrown in the bin and AE86 mounts welded on.

I cleaned the whole diff up with various wire-wheels, and then gave it a nice coat of matt black.

Oil Pump Porting.. Ergh

Okay, another one of the stupid little things I just 'had' to do was port the oil pump. This won't increase oil pressure, and won't even really give any power gains, just hopefully improve durability. Less oil restriction = less stress the gears are under to make the pressure = win. The 20c coin should give you an idea how tiny the tungsten (left) and diamond coated (right) bits are, they are basically only suitable for little dremels (3mm shank), and are REALLY easy to handle.

Standard oil pump, disassembled

Little diagram I made up, hopefully it makes sense.

Okay, so here's one of the standard ports.

After fifteen or so minutes with one of the tungsten pieces, it got to this stage. Finish wasn't really as rough as I thought it'd be.

Then a little more with the diamond-coated bits, and it was good as done.

Another one of the ports

And finished. Nice.

The third and final port was difficult to see at best, I didn't bother documenting it for this reason, but it got the grinding-treatment too.

The oil-relief valve, spring, etc.

Name
    Hao
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Holy quality pics Batman! You sure as hell aren't mucking around man. Looks like your car will be quite an animal when it's done. I love seeing builds like this where the owner does everything they can in their own garage. Keep us posted!

todd

(L)

certainly going to be one to watch.

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Geezz mate.. Goin all out...

PLR did my head on my last Race engine, and reco head on my daily...
    Nice guys...

What are you building the car for.???

A TD06 is a fairly heafty turbo even on an SR... Mucho power.
    Would be surprised if you had full boost by 5000 on a 1.8
    But will make some big numbers when it get swinging...

Why did you port the oil pump.???
    I understand your theory.
    But the instant the oil leaves the pump it has to travel down meters of tiny oil galleries that are full of horrible square 90* turns and such...
    Guess it makes you feel good though knowing you've done it...

Why are OS clutches so cheap second hand.??
    I picked up one for my SR for $100...
    Full rebuild including balance and new T/O bearing was 600...
    Still cheaper than 1800-2000 for a new one...

Car should be a nice bit of kit when your done...
    I don't think you'll get those wheels under...
    My sprinter has an F series with 15x8 -9 challengers and they only just fit under flared guards...
    I tried a 15x10 -26 on there... was a joke... Need CBY flares to run them...

With I had some nice 14x8's for my daily

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

whoa!

amazing

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

Name
    Paul
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

BIG project, quality pics, keen to see how this project pans out. Looking good

Scammer, DO NOT BUY FROM ME!

wow so much attention to detail!!

if this is just the beggining i cant wait to see the end result!!

also!! "Fusei Kaizou Sha"?? whats it translate to?
    Last edited by sonsta; 9th March 2009 at 10:14 AM.

SOOOO...

did you rob a bank or win lotto?

*grins* nice pics and build dude, will be good to see out there...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast