Thread: 4age Clutch

Name
    Grant
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Ok... im feeling real crap for having to do this, because im sure putting a clutch on shouldnt have this sorta problem.

i have my flywheel on the block, the clutch aligned with the tool, i line it up to the right holes to put the bolts in. And twice a clutch bolt has clean snapped on me

Im really not sure why this is. The bolts that i am using are staight off my 4ac clutch. They fit right in perfectly. This is one of the 6 bolts i am using:

what i do to be exact is:

align the clutch
    put it on
    put all the bolts in, make them finger tight... no more.
    Then i attempt to torque them to the toyota specific amount:

I gather that its the 6T one because it uses a washer

Then from that i find that the torque is 53ft-lb (the #12 on the left is the socket size that is used)

I turned the torque wrench for about 3 really small turns, and then "SNAP!" the top of the bolt breaks of clean.

i know the clutch is pulled closer to the flywheel as you tighten the bolts, and that if you just tighten one bolt fully it would put undue strain on it. So would it be wise to do like one turn each bolt at a time? Apart from the bolts being not right or to old this is all i could think would be wrong

Can someone that has put a clutch on before (im gonna assume quite alot have) please tell me what im doing wrong and how to get this thing on.

thanks

- Grant
    http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/731/43367425735d6c87ce7bo.jpg

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i do each of my clutch plate bolts up in a star shape, and do each bolt up like half a turn at a time so the plate is tightened reasonably even. the only reason i can think of is the torque wrench setting is wrong. is it hard to get it to torque?, do really have to lean on the torque wrench?. it sounds like it's too tight to be snapping bolts i'd check out the torque wrench, once the bolts are done up finger tight you should only have to turn the wrench 1/2 a turn.

good luck!

Name
    Ronald
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

tighten the bolts in a star patten as 20v ke70 suggests... and only do a small about at a time... also try changing the torque setting to just a little softer then recommended ?

Goodluck.

Name
    Grant
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

thanks

when i tighten the bolts, its very easy to turn. Im not too sure whats up with that...

i might just do that, put the bolts finger tight and then only do like a half turn with a socket? does it matter too much how tight it is, as long as its on about that much?

also, does the very most out side of the clutch need to be touching the flywheel? or should it just be a few mm away from it similar to what is like when the bolts are only finger tight?

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

you shouldn't be able to move the clutch plate once the pressure plate has been tightenend.

dude i've seen guys just do up a clutch plate with an air ratchet and leave it at that!

torque settings are overrated! but then if a clutch comes apart you'll lose ya legs!

i was a mechanic though so some stuff like this becomes second nature, know what i mean!

Name
    Grant
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yea...

its a real pain sometimes tho, when alot of people have different opinions on how to do things. So basically tight enough so the clutch plate doesnt move

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

no, when the pressure plate is tightened up (seated against the flywheel) the clutch shouldn't move. don't just tighten it up until it stops moving. i think you should get someone to give you a hand dude, i have great fears for your ankles!