Thread: seating position

Oldschool Member

hey guys just having some trouble getting my seating position right and thought some of u might have some ideas. bascally i have a side mount bride rail that has been bastardised somewhat, side mount tabs have been cut out and useing custom L brackets to mount the seat. and a side mount seat that was sold to me as a recaro but i have a sneakin suspision its an east bear. and a nardi wheel (without dish).
    the problem is, i have the seat basically sitting on the rail at the back and tilted back and if i move my head up and to the right i can easilly touch the cage, not good, also in this position i can only just reach the top of the steering wheel, but if i move the seat foreward, or tilt it foreward my head just gets closer to the cage.

i was thinking i could cut the floor mount tab off the outside rear of the rail and reweld it with some angle to level it out with the inside floor mount thereby gaining about 25mm in rear height but i definatly wont be able to reach the wheel then as the seat will be tilted back even more, so then i will need a wheel spacer. also this seems like a drastic measure cutting up a perfectly good bride rail.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. sorry for the long rant

adam

[haul]

get ur wheel spacer and a LOT of padding on ur roll cage. get racing harnesses too they should stop u crackin ur nut on the cage

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

pictures might make the description easier....... or i'm a retard!

Oldschool Member

no digicam so no pics sorry, so u dont advise hacking up a bride rail

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Get rid of the sliding rails and just bolt the seat to the floor with the L brackets, if you are tall.

When seated, you should be able to grab the steering wheel easy, with elbows bent. You should be able to reach the pedals easy, with knee still slightly bent with clutch in.

Standard steering wheel spacing on most Toyotas, has is so you can put 2 fingers between the wheel and the indicator stalk, and this is how I like it. Many have spacers and extensions to mount the steering wheel further back, but I would only advise that if you are very tall and sit further back.

Oldschool Member

nah i want to keep the sliding mechanism, i know im being dificult. could som1 post up some pics of their side mount seats on rails in the car so i can get an idea of what im aiming for?

Name
    Justin
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

My advice would be not to lay the seat back too much, as the head restraint then becomes useless, so if you have a rearward impact, as I did you will appreciate a well mounted seat. I dont know how you get around this probelm but I would be trying to lower the seat another way. Have it standing upright as much as possible.

If you mount the seat directly on the floor as Jonny Rochester said make sure you support the mounts from underneath as the floors are quite thin and could easily tear the bolts through, in an accident. You can do this with some steel plate to spread the load.