Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4AGE Spark Plugs

Name
    Alex
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

My engine has a racing cam so it doesnt run properly till about 3500rpm and its only been idling around lately and the plugs have carboned up and the car wont start.
    When I went to get some new plugs the ones in the book are different to the ones that were in the car by about 1mm. The engine also has high compresssion pistons so perhaps the plugs have been shortened to allow for the high pistons. Does anybody know if this would be likely and should I get shorter plugs to be safe?
    Also the plugs are platinum and cost $76 for 4, which dad reckons is very expensive for standard plugs. Is this the normal price or am I being ripped off?
    Thanks in advance.

Alex

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

normal price for platinums, but depending on what motor, it may be a good price, but it seems you have a ta22 and you said cam not cams...

Name
    Alex
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Cams is what I meant, I was thinking crankshaft for some reason.
    The TA22 has a 4AGE, apparently from an AE92. Its been pretty done up so theres not much standard in the engine bay anymore, including the plugs so I don't know if Im getting the right parts for it or not and its a pain in the arse.

But do you know if the 4AGEs came with platinum plugs? Ill ring supa cheap in a minute and see what they say but its good to hear it from people that actually know about these engines.

Name
    Poh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Name
    Alex
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Super Cheap says the plugs changed to platinum in '89, which would have been the AE92 and their plugs are $50 a set instead of $76 a set so I think I'll take my plugs back and go super cheapo.
    But does anyone know how far off hitting the plugs are so I know if normal plugs will be fine with the high comp ression pistons before I put them in?

Bad Email Address

Just take the old plug/s out, and take them into autobarn or whomever, and get them to match them up, and write down what they are........

Name
    Alex
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Ok I looked at that thread and the plugs they gave me are BCPR6EP-11 and the plugs I pulled out are BCPR6ES-11 so I don't know whats going on.
    I think Ill try and clean the plugs up properly and see if that works (the plugs seem pretty new), if not I'll talk to super cheap.

Bad Email Address

Clean the plugs, if that dont work, just order the original ones. If thats what is in there and WAS working fine, dont change it. Unless you are having major dramas and need to..........

If you go and put different ones in, and you arent sure of the engines true stats, it might not be a wise choice...........

Name
    Alex
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The guy at the local auto shop said that because the plugs he gave me are about 1mm longer they could hit the piston or not work as well so I'll clean the plugs and if it doesnt work, see about matching them up down at super cheap, otherwise Ill have to take my cahnces with the original plugs.

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

super cheap is gay, i wouldnt spend a dollar there, even if next door was 15% more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast