Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jap AE86 Brake Proportional Valve

Ok, lets sort this out...

What Tom86 was asking is if the JDM BPV will bolt upto the stock position on the 86 strut tower. The answer is yes, physically they look identical, its the internals that are different.

Bad Email Address

So yeah the answer "straight bolt up" is very misleading

Since you really can bolt in a number of other ones from various toyota model's as well . But does or is it going to work correctly ? trial and error there

Really why does anyone bother replacing it with a non adjustable valve as mostly everyone has cars with various brake changes , vehicles at different ride heights to standard ! spring rates !messing with the anti dive angles , tyres with friction rating that where never about when the vehicle was first made to name just a few changes

Really making a new right hand brake line , bending the left hand one back to the master , and making a small line section to the 90' rear line joiner { just at under the car at the firewall to underbody panel join } to a adjustable valve and a small one to the master . And you can go changing pads , discs , drum , calipers masters whatever you want and adjust it all to work far better than banging in some second hand bias valve thats most likely more seized than the one you are replacing in the first case . $5 of brake line and maybe a $110 bias valve

Unless you are going to go to all the trouble of working out master pressure for bore , caliper area of pressure from piston sizes , friction of pad area , disc size , bias percentage required blah blah blah guessing bias is what you are achieving so you might as well be able to change that percentage if need be whilst you are getting brake fluid everywhere allover the engine bay just change it for the better

Just add what state you are in and there seems to be so many garages on this forum that for sure you can book it in with one if you don't have the tooling to carry out such a job

If you never have carried out or been trained to do brake repairs i would go near it since you are playing with the last thing before a huge impact

Name
    anz
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

haha
    out of all of the people that have replied its funny how most are speculating

i dunno bout straight bolt in but a couple of new hole isnt hard is it?

scoot: sorry i dont have the part number
    i bought it ages ago

BTW
    the jap ones are a 2 piece n not a 1 piece lik the aus one

now fite some more!!!

Name
    Steve
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

^^^yep, replaced my 1 peice BPV with a JDM 2 peice. bolts straight in.
    i figure the boffins at toyota probably have a better idea of correct biasing than me.

Oldschool Member

i can post a pic tonight of the 2 pieces - one for the front has one line in from the master cylinder going to two lines to each front side brake caliper. The rear bias valve is one in one out which splits into two at the diff. They bolt in the same locations as the auspec one but not sure if they "bolt in" in regards to the brake lines all lining up.

Bad Email Address

Instead of all this "straight bolt in " rubbish its alot easier to get off you asses and take a picture b ecause apart from having the cars side by side you and never going to really tell if its "straight bolt in" . Then come the tricky part of telling if the valving the pressure is anywhere close . And as i said before apart from bench testing these side by side there is not going to be anyway of testing that

Here is a early JDM bias setup

It's amazing how much more you are starting to remember upgarage

Who has a aus spec car ? take a picture and we might be close to working this out correctly and not just guessing like we where on club4ag or something

Name
    Ian
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

ive had enough to trying to help people on this forum
    too much shit talking

Bad Email Address

Look man don't be that way Unless you have had maybe 10-20 cars like SprinterTRD here you would have never seen the differences

I am sorry for paying out on you a bit to much there

But i just don't like seeing people playing with brakes as it bloody dangerious

I just was msned a thread on toolmods about people throwing z32 fourpots on the front of there 86's with not a single person mentioning about so much as a master cylinder change or bias

When a 300zx has a 54/46 or 55/45 weight split and brake bias of 75/25%, way too much fronts there

Now if there where smarter they would go to a s13 caliper as the double action of a sliding caliper make the caliper only a bit less powerfull and more suited to a 86.
    And there have 53/47 weight split and have a stock bias of 70.5/29.5%
    With s13 front and toyota rear JDM calipers this can be closer to 65/35 figure which is ment to be the perfect split for 50/50 weight split . And this is still a figure which changes with friction area etc .

Here mess around with this simple spreadsheet and see

Name
    Steve
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Im with Astro on this one, people shouldent be messing with brakes unless they understand what needs to be done, Someone mentioned by taking the guts out of the ADM valve fixes the balance problem (yes it does work but I wouldent recoment it) But you loose one important safety feature, if you have a leak in either front or rear brake circuit the bias valve shuts off the faulty circuit so you still can stop.
    Sprinter Veteran

Name
    Justin
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Here are the pictures..

Why hesitate when you can accelerate???
    Yellow 1984 KE70 Corolla, 1.3L 4K-C, Tighe 104 Cam, Electronic Dizzy, Dellorto DHLA40s,
    4-1 Hurricane Extractors, 2" Exhaust System, 5 Speed, Factory Mags, Towbar, 33 RWKW Last dyno.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast