Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Building 4age

Name
    James
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Only slightly off topic - has anyone knowledge of how far you can take a bigport using the stock ecu? I'm thinking 264 cams, cam gears, porting, extractors, exhaust, intake, some timing advance. Can you raise compression with stock ecu?

Bad Email Address

^^^^ yes iwanna know that to ... hopefully will have a 4age laying around and me and a mate possibly will play with the inlet inlet, put mild cams in, bit of port and polish, it will also have extractors and zorst... sooooooo i second that question as above

past couple of weeks ive realised if u got the know how ae86's very cheap source of fun with good gains from ur work .

Bad Email Address

where the heck are you guys getting this stuff from!? 3 grand for a build up... shit... that better haul arse...

find a dead/smokey/blown head gasket 4age in the trading post.. pay the $200 the guys wants for it.. pull it down.. rings/bearings, hone the block, new gasket kit, new 4ac rwd water pump, get the head recoed by a reputable engine recoer including your new stem seals, if you can get a bit of port work done great if not still ok.. deck 25thou off the head.. your all set to go my friend...

it doesn't matter what engine you use with what ecu.. as long as you use the complete ecu/injectors/dizzy etc etc it will all work on any 16V 4age.. like mine.. it's a 100kw version.. running 88kw ADM AE82 ecu etc etc.. cos thats all i could get my hands on for $50.. but that ecu is only in there for another 2 days! adaptronics baby...

the main thing here with stock ecu's is vacumme if there is none, of low, it will idle very rich.. i connected a vac gauge on mine to see what it was doing.. it was bouncing from 0 to way off the end of the gauge..i have problems with vac on my quads.. thats why i'm going to an aftermarket ecu.. bigger cams will effect it.. but you can go a few sizes up without changing ecu's although your kinda shooting yourself in the foot if you don't, you will never get the full potential out of bigger cams unless you change your ecu..

Name
    James
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

How much are you shooting yourself in the foot though? Aftermarket computers can be expensive, you may not be at full potential but are you still getting bang for $?

Another aside, how much can you gain from adding aftermarket computer to a standard engine with extractors and exhaust? Is the stock ecu that bad?

Bad Email Address

stock motor.. i wouldnt do it.. but if you have quads, cams, more compression, different injectors.. it's pretty essential.. the ecu and tuning is like $1200... when your spending minimum $400 each on billet cams.. then need to shim up the head, and possibly upgrade your valve springs, it's pretty cheap...and you get to use your cams to the full potential.. i had been putting my ecu off for a long time.. thinking it wasn't really needed, and bang for buck, not really worth while.. but it really should be one of the first things you do if your serious in getting good hp/efficientcy..

Matty

Bad Email Address

sorry if this is a newb question but,

ive read bout ur build up and boticed u put the quad TB on, is it worthwhile with standard ecu? ... expensive? thnx

Bad Email Address

only if you plan on running a aftermarket later on.. the quads do play havok with the map sensor.. and it over fuels quite badly.. like 180km to a full tank of BP ultimate.. and has a few flat spots in the rev range.. i couldn't find someone that had used the stock ecu.. so i had to try it for myself.. don't get me wrong.. it starts first time everytime.. idles fine..revs right out and goes quite well.. just chew the juice like anything!

Bad Email Address

ok so i ges its better off doing some inlet work then if u plan to use a standard ecu, as opposed to the quads

thnx

Bad Email Address

straight up yes.. maybe a bigger TB? porting extrude hone the inlet manifold would be a great start... you can still get great power from a big single TB.. quads are just a different way of getting it.. each to thier own...

Name
    John
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

so how much u reckon a rebuild would be?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast