Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem with my T50...

Ok to cut a long story short...

All gears fine going up inc. 3rd to 4th.

Does not go into 4th from a downshift from 5th. EVER!
    I've lent into it with both hands and the stick was about to snap on me.

I have to clutch in 5th to 3rd then into 4th.

When stationary this problem does not exist.

Throw your diagnosis my way....

My initial thoughts.... something selector related? *shruggs*

Cheers

SPEEDY

Whoever tells you its the bearings, i'll tell you now will be banned!!!

Synchros, selector ring or dogteeth (or slight wear on both which, together causes problems) 4th and 5th are on the same selector clustor.

Might also be the 3 ball bearings in the top (under the small steel plate) these can get clogged with shit and can make shifting feel like crap... or non-existant!

Has your box ever been rebuilt? When Jap T50's are rebuilt, generally only 1st, 2nd and 3rd are changed as 4th and 5th are rarely buggered, after a couple of swaps though, they do catch up.

Might also be your master or slave, but you would have problems with selecting all gears.

Hey thanks for the response...

As far as I know it has never been rebuilt and I am sure it never has.

Its an Aus spec that was originally behind the 4AC when I first bought the car around 4.5 years ago. I never got to drive it with the 4AC apart from the test drive (which I didn'y go into 5th) and reversing in and out of the garage while I was pulling it apart getting ready to be painted so never noticed and only found out when I got my car back from an engine conversion and on the road.

So its not a new problem that has just come about... I've been driving it for close to a year now with the problem and am happy to go about driving it for a while longer like that.

Guess I just wanted to know what specifically it would be so I can prepare myself to reach for my ankles for the cost of a rebuild.

I know... I can hear you all crying out in unison..... "Just put another cheapy one in there"

I rebuilt mine myself, and others have commented so many times how tight and fresh it feels.

Rebuilding a T50 isn't as expensive as people make it out to be-

* Gasket kit Ex Toyota $70
    * T40 internals- Syncros, Gear set and selctor rings (Yes T40's had a 5th gear, just a lockout on it) $250
    * Labour $0
    * Snap rings $5
    * Lots and lots of degreaser

Remember, when dissmatling the T50, everything comes off backwards, try and take digi photos of the order of which it goes together, and do it on a bench, there are alot of small parts!

Dont worry about the bearings either, unless there has been a major shortage of oil, the cylindrical rollers will last longer than the gearset!

Name
    Matt
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

mine started doing the exact same thing a fare phew months ago. It only changes if you double clutch (which ive been doing and have got use to it) or if i just smash it in.

my master slav was failing, so i thought it was that and finally changed it, no change. have changed box fluid twice since then, still to no help. syncros for the win.

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

hears my problem....

randomly (rarely ie once) the gearbox didnt allow me to chose any gears when taking off from a corner, so i had to pump the clutch...? my main prob is that *i think* my syncro from 3rd to 2nd is rooted as its stiff to change into and sometimes i have to "double clutch/pump the clutch" to change down, is it my syncro's??

if you have to pump the clutch like that i would tend to lean more to getting the
    clutch hydraulics looked at first.. ie leaking slave or just clutch bleed.

with gearboxes always best to check all clutch adjustments etc before condeming the box.

Bad Email Address

Same problem in my T50 man... only on down changes from 4th to 3rd though....... when down changing I have to tap into 2nd before it will slot into 3rd...... its a bitch but Im gona fit a new G/B sometime in the not so distant anywayz....

Veteran
    Name
    Ben
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i have problem going from 2nd to 3rd and most times i cant get it into reverse have to get out and push the heap

Name
    Pete
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

why t40s.are they shorter gear ratio????
    ROYAL GARAGE NEWCASTLE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast