Thread: Got Camber?

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i thought i'd start this thread as the question gets asked every couple of months about sigma arms etc. i haven't done these mods my self, this is basically a compilation of information supplied by other members. the infomation is applicable to AE86, KE70 and AE71

Sigma lower control arms.

these are from a GH sigma with press in ball joint. these arms give a 60mm total track increase and close to -5 degrees camber. obvious disadvantages are increased inner edge tyre wear, straight lone braking can also be comprimised due to less of the tyre being in contact with the road. these arms have to be used with RA40 celicas tie rod ends to ensure the correct toe setting can be reached. cost depends on wrecker, but you should be able to get the parts you need for around the $100 mark. requires some modification to inner arm bush to fit, (grind a bit of the steel tube section down, so it fits betwwen subframe)

Corona lower control arms

theses are from an xt130 corona, thye give a 20mm total track increase and approx -2 degrees camber. same disadvantages before but obviously not as bad. these arms can be used with standard rack ends as there is enough adjustment to get the correct toe setting. cost $100 through AJPS or attainable at wreckers. these are a direct bolt in fit no mods required. Also can use arms and tierods from RT132 and RA40 as they are physically the same arm

camber tops

i think we all know how camber tops work. no track increase, greatest advantage is you can set them back to normal to drive every day so you aren't compromising tyre wear etc. biggest disadvantage $$$ around $300 +. these are a direct bolt in fit , require no mods to fit

Negative camber roll centre adjusters

i personally have had nothing to do with these and have never seen them, however have a fair grasp of how they work. they go in between the strut bottom and steering arm, they are offset to gain the camber. track increase would depend on the size of the RCA camber angle you order i suppose. biggest disadvantage again is $$$ around $150 - $200. direct bolt in fit no mods required.

always get a wheel alignment after mucking around with suspension. it's not woth throwing new arms or RCA's in and you have wheels pointing in the wrong direction!!

please note this is only a guide, if any one wants to post new inf o or different options please do and i'll edit this post. hopefully we can have a fair few options and all the info in one place rather than recycling old threads. also thanks to people that have posted info i have used and for the photo's i'll use. this is not my info and i'm not claiming it as mine, i'm just putting it in one place.

below is a pic of sigma arms vs AE86 arms

thanks DRFTAE86 for the pic

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

pic of camber after sigma arm fitment. wheels are 15x6.5 +25mm

Thanks DRFTAE86 for the pic

Name
    Travis
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Awesome idea, i myself have camber tops and are probably going to get some neg camber rca's aswell as i dont have any rca's atm.

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

nice article u may want to add a link to toymods because i think there could be and install guide or something from memory

Veteran
    Name
    Ben
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hmm interesting

Bad Email Address

I got a set with new ball joints and bushes cost and extra $50 per control arm, worth it as most of them have rooted ball joints that i found.

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i'm pretty sure control arms are available through pedders and fulcrum with new balljoints and bushes. and rackends through Repco

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

with the sigma arms i think youre going to end up with a bit more camber than that. i have them and -3 degree's is the least i can get with my cusco camber tops wound right out all the way positive.

i think the total track increase is also something more along the lines 60mm for the sigma arms.
    78's

Name
    Brenton
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I have purchased some xt130s from the wrecker and im installing them tomoro so il try and get some pics. Also one of the ball joints looks gone and i dont have time to replace it at the moment. Witll this greatly affect the handling or the wheel alignment?
    ADM 4AGZE SPRINTER
    JDM SR20DET TRUENO COUPE

ae86s love since 2004

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

it's not the best idea to run rooted ball joints. in saying that i have a llose one that i haven't changed in about 6 months, so i'm the worst person to tell you to fix it!! but yeah you should fix it.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast