Thread: Jap wheels and tyre valves....

Hey guys when I last got tyres on my SSRs they had a hard time getting valves for them. Said it was some old japanese style and that they where not very good...... he even snapped two when he was getting the tyre on the wheel.

I went to check the tyres this morning on the way to work and had to go back home to get the civic. One of them was leaking again......

Now these valves are strange..... they have like 2 O rings on the outside and they are quite squished and deformed from the pressure that has been used to tighten the valve onto the wheel.

As I was filling the tyre which had worked its way down to 10 PSI I noticed it was leaking..... I wiggled the valve a bit and if I pushed it to the side it would stop hissing then start to leak again once I let go of the vavle.

I remember at the time the tyres where installed he said that I could get the regular valves that people do not have trouble with but that the valve hole would have to be enlarged....... just wanting to know if you guys have done this at all to your wheels and if so was it a home job or need to get my ass toa wheel shop?

Cheers,

SPEEDCORE - he who loves his SSRs but is getting frustrated with the probs these fookin' valves are giving me!

Oldschool Member

I have a leaky valve on one of my ssr's. Would like to know about this also.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

just get new ones put in at a shop. tyres on and off. new valves. 4 holes drilled out. how much could it cost? less than $100.

better than getting stuck somewhere.
    78's

Name
    John
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

what type of rim? cause ive had no prob with the xr's

Mesh or Reverse mesh... I can't remember they all look alike!

Slydar yeah I gathered that much.....

Any info on the actual different valves..... I was told that these are really easy to snap too compared to the normal ones *scratches head*

Name
    Tim
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Sounds like the Japs at some point used valves with a smaller diameter base.
    Putting standard tubeless tyre valves into smaller holes means the rim pinches the valve and you get a leak.
    That's probably why the tyre guy put o rings - to stop the valve base pinching.

Similar to a tubed tyre (ie split rim these days) if you don't set up the valve straight but at an angle, the base of the tube can be pinched and leaks.