Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: adding supercharger

Bad Email Address

hey hey

ive done a search but i cant seem to find much help,

im planning on having building a 4age with 260 degree cams, inlet work, port port and polish.. plus breathing mods

now suppose im not happy with power output can i add a s/c without to much hassle ... with same internals and blah blah ?

anyone done this ? ive been told its basically just bolt on job for less than a grand but im assuming would be able to have much boost at all? ....

anyways thnx for helping ..was just something i was curious about

Name
    Alex
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I think you would need stronger pistons and lower compression. If you find a good article on the 4AGEs history it says what they did different to the 4AGZE's.
    But I think it would be better to just buy a 4AGZE if you were thinking of supercharging and just do that up.

You can add an SC to the side, but it wont be very simple. The difference in CR between GE and ZE pistons is only 9.4 to 8.9, so I don't think that will give you problems. However engine management and tuning could be a drama. If you do it properly then it'll cost lots and sort of defeat the purpose of the whole exercise.

You'd need the entire intake side of a ZE, plus either ZE management (may not work with the new cams) or aftermarket.

I'd recommend getting a full GZE and bolting your worked head to that if you ever want to upgrade.

Hen

Bad Email Address

ok one more question,

suppose i put 260 degree cams in with a port and polish, plus inlet work on a 16v ...

with a LSD what sort of 1/4 times would i be looking at subject to engine condition, driver skill and agressiveness of the porting ?

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

youre original idea is sound and with a well tuned aftermarket ecu it WILL work and will probably be prettydurable. will stock ZE managment it will probably work too.

as the question above. there are alot of vaiables youre leaving out but i think the best you could hope for is a high 15. at best.
    78's

Bad Email Address

lol GAY i was hoping it more mid to low 15 ...only time will tell though i ges ...

not that im spending the money for straight line power ... just nice to have it there ..considering im coming froma mid 14 secnd ish car ( nothing quick but it least it has a bit of pull) my only worry is that ill miss the straight line power of my current ride

curiousity what does a standard 4age 16v in a sprinter tend to get ? i would have thought about a mid 16? ... if im only gonna gain like .5 of a second from all that work i dunno if its worth it ?

ohwell... im getting the car for corners anyways not for straights

anyways thnx for the answers guys ... this is likethe only forums in the world u can get good quick answers .. big ups

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

stock motors run mid to high 16s.

if you just put cams and a tidy up of the head with stock ecu .5 of a second is all youll get.

if you strip it, have nice tires, are an awesome driver, have a freak low K really nice tight engine, good clutch, 4.3 ratio diff or even shorter, it could be faster.

but most people dont set up their cars that way. so the best answer i can give you is you "might" dip into the 15's.

it would have to be a pretty damn special car to run in the 14s and be NA. like a REALLY nicely set up 20v running at its full potential, and stripped to the bone with other light weight parts might do it. but probably not.

josh youngs car only ran 13s but thats will 160ish RWKW.
    78's

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

its just the a 1.6 is always going to loose out in the top end.. especially na.

dont take this as it not being a fun or even quick car off the mark. at the traffic light wars even just a 16v can really lauch well, being rwd (traction) and really light weight means you will catch some faster cars off guard sometimes.
    78's

Bad Email Address

thnx

yeah as said striaght line power isnt exactly what im after but im just used to giving it the odd boost and feeling it push me back .. probably be something ill miss ... but im getting the car for hills and track not for drags so its not so bad i ges

Bad Email Address

my JDM one pretty much how i got it from japan a few years ago with extractors, 2.25: mandril system.. little pod filter 4.3 trd 2 way.. stock spongey suspension..

15.89 best.. i have a time slip with all the right car number and opponant number etc that says 15.002... but i suspect there was an error there, cos i know it wasn't that quick!

with the stock smallport GZE in my car, same setup.. extractors and exhaust from the bigport JDM donk, and a fabricated tube and fin PWR core front mount, with proper piping.. not like some of these exhaust shop pressbent mig weld with your foot, and linish the outside fo it looks neat jobs.. ran 13.92.. but at a dissapointing 96mph.. top end.. not good.. but it only made 104rwkw.. 13.9's the torque got the car off the line with very suprising speed!

my current setup, which is a pretty decent smallport motor build.. although stock cams at the moment.. i'm not expecting it to be any quicker than mid 15's, even ... if i wanted a car with insane straight line speed.. i would have bought something turbo.. an 86 is made for the twisty stuff.. more power = more breakages hence the reason me returning to NA..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast