Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 900+kg of fail (aka, PuGZoR's Phoenix)

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default 900+kg of fail (aka, PuGZoR's Phoenix)

Hey boys and girls,

Yeah yeah, you probably know my PoS by now, but thought I better have a thread about it on here anyway, since it was on the old forums.

Anyway, in October 2006 (lol) I acquired an AE86 from Townsville without having seen it before in my life. Bought it from some random off Twincam. At the time, I had an MR2 SW20 turbo that was all well and good, but I liked sliding, and epic oversteer from the MR2 made learning a little too hard.

Anyway, was meant to be over in 3 months, but life has gotten in the way so it's gone really slow. Full time work, part time uni (nearly fkn finished), parents split, moved house, got a dog, got a gf (that's pretty halarious in its own right), and yeah, just generally not knowing what I'm doing has slowed things down. In the time I've been working on it my daily has changed from an MR2 to a HJ Kingswood, to a VS Commodore, to a KE70 panelvan and now I've finally got a JZS147 Aristo, which I seem to be pretty solid with.

Anyway, moved house in Oct last year, and shed only finally got built about 3 wks ago. Yay. Except dad's a slackarse and is currently obsessed with his younger filo gf, and won't put up benching yet. I'd fk it bad if I tried. So still waiting on stuff. Everything in the mean time has been stored at my mum's house, and is largely inaccessible. Yeah woo.

Anyway, enough ranting, but those are my excuses why this thing isn't finished yet, and I'm sticking to them. Hopefully finish it sometime this year, but we'll see how we go.

Keep in mind that all this was into a stock (rust free mind you) ADM AE86. I've missed stuff out that I've had to convert, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Power
    AE101 4AGZE Block and head
    ARP Headstuds
    Cometic triple layer metal headgasket
    New timing belt
    RWD 4AGE intake manifold
    T3 Bigport/Smallport port adaptor
    Kelway short runner high mount manifold
    Brand new Garrett GT2560R
    Tial 38mm wastegate
    Custom dump pipe, screamer, exhaust, all 3"
    440cc injectors
    Walbro external fuel pump
    Facet lifter pump feeding surge tank
    K&N Air filter
    Sard fuel pressure regulator

Cooling
    450x300x76mm JustJap intercooler
    56mm thick Koyo radiator
    B&M Supercooler for engine oil
    12" Thermofan setup

Drivetrain
    Niteparts W5x to 4A bellhousing
    T18 clutch slave
    Xtreme 4 puck cushioned button clutch
    Newish looking W58
    Custom single piece tailshaft
    F series diff from an auto YR22 Tarago (4.3 ratio'd)
    TRD 2-way LSD
    Custom handbrake cables (sik)

Steering / Suspension / Brakes
    Quaife Quickrack
    AJPS steering rack bushes
    P/S knuckles
    T3 RCAs
    Front Struts converted by AJPS to coilover (8kg springs with 4-way adjustable short stroke KYB shocks; lost adjusters, might replace)
    6kg rear springs with 8-way adjustable short stroke KYB shocks
    New bushes here and there
    Front and rear Whiteline swaybars
    Adjustable Whiteline panhard rod
    Cusco camber tops on front tops
    AE101 4AGZE calipers
    Slotted (redrilled) Peugot 406 discs (278mm)
    Epic rear drums that came with the F series
    Cusco brake master cylinder stopper
    Whiteline front strutbrace

Interior
    Elevo 350mm suede steering wheel
    Fibreglass skin over dash
    AW11 seats up the front
    5 point bolt in halfcage (rear)
    Sweet custom door cards I got from my mates for my 21st

Electronics
    Microtech LT10S with hand controller
    GReddy Auto Turbo Timer
    GReddy Profec II Spec B Boost Controller
    Custom scrolling display (made it at work when bored)

Exterior
    15" Simmons wheels (mesh centre, 3 piece, staggered offset)
    MA61 mags (skidders)
    Streeter by Streeter bodykit (last in AU? Lol)
    Custom Yellow/Orange paint body, dark Grey/Blue kit

Will post pics when I find some goodn's, might even take some new ones. It's far more impressive on paper than it is in person, but meh.

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i remember pics of this car from the old forums. cant wait til you finisher her off mate

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The funny thing? It's all on the car other than the interior (other than the cage, that's all in) and the kit. Still need to do brake and clutch fluids and make sure everything's working, and fix up a few things that since installing, I've realised I've munted, but yeah, the majority of it is actually done. Not a pipe dream or something, it's all sitting dormant ready for skids. Poor 4A won't know what hit it...

Further more on the funny line, I'm already starting to think of where I should try and go once I get sick of the 4A. The rest of the car is done to an excellent spec that could take pretty much any sane engine combo. Was even thinking 4GR-FE if I could find one cheap enough (lol, not likely in the next 5 years).

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Purchased a stock (and albeit somewhat dodgy) front bar and rear bar from Johl. Gonna have them on while I'm learning to drive it "properly", and to avoid attention I guess. Will save time in getting it road going too me thinks.
    The Phoenix; In the build since 10/06!
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i prefer standard bars. its an old car so newish kits dont do it for me

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

So, I was thinking of doing something a lot of people might not agree with...

Because I was learning a lot of stuff while doing this car, I'm looking back on it and thinking, "god, I wish I did that a different way". There's so much that I really am considering taking everything off it and putting it back together again in a more organised fashion. The way it is at the moment is that it'd work, but I'm not sure for how long.

I'm actually considering buying a house soon, and frankly I wouldn't have much money at all for about a year. So it makes perfect sense to actually do this. I think it might be a reason why I've lost so much motivation over the last year, despite there not being that much to actually do. It's a bit of an abortion in my eyes, and there's much that can be improved cheaply.

I've got a TIG welder that can do AC/DC now, a full bottle of argon, plenty of filler rods, a DeWalt angle grinder, and plenty of other tools. My dad has just finished his shed in his new house, and he's got a metal lathe with a 4ft work area, a nice drill press with a compound table, and plenty of cut-off saws, etc. I've used most of it before too, and anything I haven't, I know someone who can show me. If I do do something, it'll probably be more inspired by what some of the crazier AE86's have achieved, eg, Medwin's Blue beast, anything Josh Young has touched, etc.

Gotta do some thinking...
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

Name
    Joash
    State
    Tasmania
    Country
    Australia

hey man whats the answer to the big decision?

I remember when i was building my 4agte 86 started same time as you roughly, bought the bell housing in the same group buy. So i been following this build.

Think some pics are due anways lol

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

dude build it how you want it, but remember theres gotta be some driving in there somewhere, otherwise you lose the bond you share with your car.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, it's been pretty stagnant. Mind you, I'm actually trying to buy my own place at the moment. Since I moved with my dad in October last year between his houses, I've been really displaced, with half my stuff being at mums and half of my stuff being at dads. Never really wanted to unpack at either place and set up because I have disagreements with them both (mum's an alcho and dad's just a stubborn hedonist sometimes).

But yeah, found a place that's awesomely huge, has double lockup under the house, and a big extra-high double shed in the back. It's halfway between the parentals houses too, and is exactly what I've been after. Got a contract on it.

Pretty keen on taking it apart and putting it back together though, and doing bits on the house when I cut the shits with it. Just need to settle down somewhere first, I'm getting a bit tired of nomad style.

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Well, it's nearly the 3 year mark on this project. I've been thinking a lot lately too. At the moment it seems the best course of action, at this point in my life, is to part it out.

Hasn't been an easy decision but owning a house is a lot more expensive than I thought it would be. Couple that with there's still a lot of cost (maybe 2k, but at the moment every dollar is counting so that might as well be 100k) to get it roadworthy. Still owe a lot on my loan too, and that's really stinging every time they take a payment out so I need it gone.

I bought a house with a shed, but I'll have to hold off getting another project car for a year or so. Not long, but it's going to feel like ages. Don't know if the next thing will be an AE86 or not, but we'll see.

I guess the up side is that there are going to be some fkn great parts coming unto the community that are actually going to be used, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast