Thread: Shock Absorbers

Hey guys n gals,

Its come time to replace the shocks in my 86. I've done some Reading and looking around and Koni shocks (the ones I looked at had damper adjust I think) seemed like a good product for a reasonable price (I was first quoted $800 for a full set but have noticed a site sponsor advertising a full set for around $680).

I've read about people using shocks from grand vitara's etc and thought of this as an option but I wasn't sure if these parts would fit correctly or what adjustments would have to be made etc

The 86 in question is my daily, however I am after quite a stiff ride. So basically I am just after some opinions/advice on which products to use (or not to use hehe) for around the $700 - $800 price range.

Thanks

Chris

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

i can get the tokico hts for around $1000 a set

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

if you want to use sierra or vitara? shocks the car has to be bull shit low which can cause grief with the authorities, and also it's hard to get the front the same level without coilovers or seriously reset springs. shock choice should depend on what springs you run. smartest bet is to buy adjustable shocks so you can adjust the if you choose to change springs later, or to fine tune their performance.

i use to use koni adjustables, but they are standard stroke so the springs fall out when you jack the car up. plus you have to remove the fronts to adjust them, rears are easier but still a pain in the arse, you sort of have to set them and hope you guessed right!!

currently i use falcon springs in the rear (200mm free height) with stock sierra shocks, and 6kg fronts with externally adjustable MR2 strut insert shocks. this performs 200% better than my old set up, you get cool gokart slides happening through corners....which is cool.........sometimes!!

if you are just runing stock springs or superlows i.e softish springs you are probably best of in my opinion buying some short stroke kyb's or something like that they can be bought quite cheaply through AJPS. but if you are running a stiffer spring and are looking to some performance orientated driving i.e track day's or mountain runs andstuff, spend big on shocks get something short stroke externally adjustable for the front and try the vitaras or some shortstroke shockies in the back.

do a search too as i'm sure someone has done a thread on this before in the tech articles section, stating what shocks go in from different cars etc.

good luck!!

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

what struts are you using for the mr2 shocks?
    30kw club

omy

You will need some good shocks to control the stiffer rear springs. Try using TRD blues 8 way adjustable. They are short stroke but can also be compatable with std springs if you need to rise the height. I have used the falcon rears cut to fit but you are not captive also tryed vitara ones... in the end I got proper 6kg spring from AJPS which worked out better.

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the mr2 shocks fit in the ae86 struts i use, but you need to put in a spacer in the bottom of the strut as the shock isn't as long as an ae86 one. from memory it was about 40mm, i used 2 1/2 indrive sockets as spacers................dodge