Thread: drift pig corona

Name
    Zac
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

im after everyones opinion on whether i should keep my toyota corona or not. its the one in the for sale section. been contemplating for ages whether or not to keep it or not. ive been testing its driftability for a while now and it hasnt really let me down yet, its surprisingly good actually. but i want to take myself to comp lvl and im unsure as to its potential. its been a GREAT car to practice in (and it still is great) but is it time to move on? or could this thing really cut the cake? and why hasnt anyone done one up for drift yet?
    your un-biased opinion would be greatly appretiated thankyou

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I can't see why not, you should be able to get decent sprngs/shocks ( ask dave from ajps). I think there are guys in Japan that drift them but I'm pretty sure the one I saw had a 4age in it? With as much weight as you've got you might need a better motor. 1ggte has been done, but I saw one at a hill climb with a 3sge in it with side draught carbs and it hauled!!

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

if you are having fun in it now, keep it. as it is now it has limited mods and is performing well. put some money into decent suspension and maybe a better engine, and who knows it could be quite competitive. Corona's could be the car everyone buys when the KE70's dry up!!!

Bad Email Address

4AG would be an easy swap assuming you can find a AT141 crossmember (if they're different) but would you want to go 4ag in that car?

I'm pretty sure you can put MX62 struts and brakes in.

Is it IRS rear?

Name
    Zac
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

some very valid points people thankyou. maybe i could get a tow car and keep it as a dedicated track car. if any one knows of something with rego under 1000$ plz let me know
    lol 20v. youre prob right. then i could sell it for heaps more when they do become popular.
    anyway it doesnt have irs. from what ive heard irs is worse cause u get neg camber rear when u lower it n junk.
    i imagine a 4agze would be good cause of the torque (to pull the weight). and if i lightweighted it i could prob get it to about 1000kg or under if im lucky. so thats still lighter then silvias n all that.
    the only prob really is the parts i think. and if there is stuff for it i would be surprised if i could get it cheap.
    mx62... is that supra???

Name
    James
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I'm not so sure about going to a 4age, Corona is still heavier than a sprinter. I used to have a 2L Corona and I would try to keep at least that much capacity for the extra torque. Some people in the USA have built up the 2.4L engine, port the head as it's flow is very poor (designed for low-end torque) makes a big difference, and you can buy turbo kits. Or stick in something like a 1ggte.

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

DO NOT put a 4ag in it!

defintiely something with some torque, 1g, 3tgte if you like searching for parts and want something light

should be similar to 86 to slide, just with bigger wheel base etc

do it!

plus if you hit wall/guard rail/ gutter/ other car/ tree/ embankment/ pedestrian/ or you roll it showing off to chooch dai on dirt off greenhill road /animals/ unmarked cop cars

its funny cos coronas are worth less than 120y's

Name
    Zac
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

lmao!
    i sure hope i dont hit some of those things

so what are the advantages and disadvantages between 3tgte and 1ggte?
    one thing i do know tho is that the 3t was standard engine for JDM model corona.

also, if sigma control arms and, corolla diff(which i have fitted to the car), can be bolted to the corona does that meen the corona base might essentially be the same as corolla/sprinter? if it is then thats VERY good news.

Bad Email Address

MX62's are old Cressidas.
    That tells you what to do to put them in.

1g's are 6 cyl twin turbo with a W5* behind them, ~150kw 3tgte's are 1.8l 4 banger with a tiny turbo, these didn't have an IC from factory and you'd want an upgrade on the turb don't know power figure but it's not much iirc.

Name
    Zac
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

so those cressidas will actually go in the rona?
    and from what ive learned, will all the tricks for improving hachis work with ronas too? such as; just to clarify, before i go buy some, will sigma control arms and ra40 tie rod ends fit? and then could i use JDM power steering model ae86 steering knuckles to increase lock?