Australia

Hey I just thought I would do a rewrite up of my weekend project

SECTION 1 ---- Fixing the bumper
    SECTION 2 ---- Making the Front Lip
    SECTION 3 ---- Painting

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SECTION 1 ---- Fixing the bumper

This is the stock bumper, which I got for $40 -cheers ae86dave

There was some over spray on the indicators so I just used a bit of turps (Mineral Turpentine) to clean up but I didn't work all that well so I turned to using 800 grit wet and dry sand paper.

I sanded them with a bit of water, I will later spray these will clear coat to give back the original look, u can buy some special stuff to make ur lights shiny again but cost more than a can of clear coat spray paint

With the bumper I sanded the whole bumper with wet and dry 800 git paper but i didn't use any water as the bumper is rough surface anyways so un less it is smooth i would suggest not using water.

The bits on the inside of the bumper had been hacked off with a hacksaw. So they were sticking out a bit, so to get them flush with the rest of the bumper, I first used a hacksaw with an adjustable angle to help get closer to the bumper, then I used a metal file, then some low grit sand paper **cant remember but it was very rough** , I then preceded to use 800 grit sand paper to get a smoother finish

My bumper had been in a previous battle with an unknown object so it was “dented in" and ripped to fix this I used two flat head screwdriver to pull the split outwards (if that makes sense?) I then use a Stanley knife to cut off the little “dags" of plastic and then sanded them I then pushed the split together to create a flat surface on the front.

I then used some gap filler/tile filler (cant remember what one it was but it was just some I had lying around in the shed) this was purely put on to give it some additional strength.

SECTION 2 --- Making the Front Lip

I went down to the local hardware shop (Bunnings) to purchase some lawn edging. I bought the 100mm high edge

NOTE
    I'm not sure if this sized edge will scrub on lower cars as I haven't put it on my car yet and I have king spring which will be OK but I'm unsure if it will be OK when I put my new coilovers in

I also bought some fancy black pop rivet to use but they didn't come in a big enough size and as I didn't want to used galvanised ones, I bought some self tapping metal screws (remember not to buy wood ones as they would probably be to harsh and could possibly tear ur bumper!)

After buying all this stuff I decided to trial fit it to my car using simple electrical tape, I cut the lawn edge into I think a size of roughly 190cm but don't quote me as I'm guessing from memory.

This is my attempt with pop rivet but the weren't strong enough to deal with the pressure of the bending at the edge of the bar because they were too small

This is about ¾ of the screw process

NOTE
    Remember to drill wholes first which r smaller than the screws u are putting in!

HIGLY RECOMMENDED

You may also have to make backing plates for the screw to screw into, just to give it some extra strength, I just used some scrap thin sheet metal which I cut into little rectangles which I then drilled holes into them. On a side note I did this after screwing the to pieces on plastic together and the realising it probably wasn't strong enough

WITHOUT

WITH

ALL SCREWS IN

SECTION 3 ---- Painting

To do the painting of the bumper I used 800 grit wet & dry sandpaper but didn't use any water, as it is a rough surfaced bumper anyway.

I purchase some special “Bumper Bar Primer" and “Bumper Bar Black Paint" as it contains a special product to help with the flexible nature of the Bumper Bar

First Coat of Primer

Second Coat

I'm yet to finish doing the coats of paint as I'm writing this up while I'm waiting for each coat to dry

I will post more pics when done

Name
    Andy
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

do both those bumper paints come in aerosol cans?

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

yeah they do ill post pics of them either tonight or tomorrow, but i just went down to supercheap and bought what ever they had i think it was like $12 each can but there 450g or 500g cans, i did 2 coats of primer and still some left over in the can and i've only done 1 coat with the normal paint so far so i'll c how many i can get out of that doing heaps of light coats

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

painting may b a while as it has started to get cold here, so its not to great painting weather so it may take a while to dry properly! so i can rub it back between coats

Name
    JP
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

wow that really looks neat man.. lawn edger woulda never thought of that.. are u doing the same thing on ur rear bar

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

yeah lawn edging is good cos it UV light protected so wont fade easily, it's plastic so it durable plus it can bend with out breaking shatering.

i have been thinking about the rear bumper but i'll have to wait and c as i used 10cm high lawn edge which looks good when i did a mock up on my car but it only has kingsprings in it

so it may be too low when i put my coilovers in so i think i might wait, plus i dont have a spare bumper to work on and i also think it could look a bit weird with have a lip on the front and rear without any side skirts!

i may use something like 50mm (5cm) edging next time if its too low at the moment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

man think i should stop sniffin the spray cans or worn a dusk mask cos i just when to blow my nose and it was black

Name
    JP
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

what kinda of paint and primer did u use?... elastic primer?

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

it was called "bumper bar primer" by setone or somethin i'll post pics of the cans i used

Name
    JP
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

i was gonna do my front and rear bar on my car this sat was gonna cut the middle bit, then i saw ur article about the lip and im gonna give it a shot, u made urz look so neat. great job on that. good luck with the rear bar im sure it will turn out as good as ur front

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

lol good shit.
    everyone seems to be doing this now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast