Thread: Removing Instrument Cluster

Name
    Michael
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I need to remove the instrument cluster to clean out dust/replace bulbs. I've removed any screws I could see, and assume I have to remove the wiper & headlight controls as well. If its like other toyotas I've played with, there will also be plastic clips somewhere that are very brittle. Can anyone who's done this before tell me how to remove the cluster surround correctly without damaging anything?

Cheers

Name
    Andrew
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

it's pratty easy to do, and there aren't any small things you can break, unless you are really uncoordinated.

You have to remove the black panel surrounding the guages, so that means all of the wiper switchgear, and possibly the steering wheel so you can get the panel out from in between the dashboard. Try setting it onto the low adjustment pos first. you may also have to remove a few screws from the panel underneath the steering column as well, but i haven't taken mine apart for a while so i cant remember.

if you don't force anything, then you probably won't break it.

also, the nuts on the wipers are hard to get at with a socket, so try a shifting spanner or multigrips if you still can't loosen them off, do them up finger tight afterwards, so you can undo them easily in the future if need be.

Name
    Michael
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Thanks for that - ae82 dash was very brittle so wanted to know of any issues before finding out the hard way

Banned

hard to get the dash out ? caz i tried & gave up (prob did not hav the right tools)

Name
    Michael
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

No, just slides out when the plastic nuts on wiper/light controls are removed. I don't have an adjustable column so was a bit of a squeeze to get past hazard switch. Also be careful you don't hook it on the indicator stalk and snap that off.

Once out, I removed the clear plastic cover and cleaned the inside of the cluster with spray and wipe. Then wiped it down with a camera lens cloth (tissues will leave white bits all over it). Before reinstalling it, I used electrical tape to seal the gap between the cover and the cluster - should keep the dust out a bit longer. Cluster looks brand new now - huge improvement.

Banned

same wit the electronic dash ? same shit