Thread: W58 conversions

Bad Email Address

Hey dudes iam half way threw my w58 conversion i have all my gear sorted. just needed a little help.

What cross member are people using? or is it a custom job

What did every one use for a tail shaft? Iam going to get a one peice made up does any one have the measurments already? ruff estamate of the price?

iam also having problems finding a thrust bearing. Going to the clutch place today.

So many little dramas with this conversion have to also relocate the thermostat. Also when we pulled out my old clutch and fly wheel the fly wheel had a huge crack in it sheeet.. will post pics later.

Name
    Eddie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Xmember will be a custom jobbie. Depending on the bellhousing, you may need to compensate for a "slanty" gearbox. Most the bellhousings are made for direct horizontal fitting and the 4age in a sprinter has a tilt towards the drivers side to aid oil draining/lubrication. You'll see what i mean when you bolt the engine/box in.

Have them measure the distances for the tailshaft as depending on what bellhousing you have, they may need to make it 2-5mm longer/shorter than someone elses setup.

The thrust bearing should come with the bellhousing or it should at least tell you what's compatible. I've got a dellow housing and you need to use their clutch fork/thrust bearing.

Eddie.
    4agte finally finished. 252rwkw with more to come

The thrust bearing on a W58 sits on a snout which is attached to the gearbox, so the bellhousing shouldn't affect which one you need.

Cross-member is custom. I bolted the rubber mount to the box, bolted some plate to that, some plate to the floor and then welded some more plate in to join them. Then tidied it up. Just ensure the centre of the output shaft is at the same height as the centre of the T50 output shaft.

To measure up your tailshaft length, bolt the diff flange to the diff, slip the W58 slip yoke into the box (all the way) and measure the distance between the pivots of the two uni joints. HOWEVER YOU NEED TO SUBTRACT AROUND 10-15mm FROM THIS. So you have some movement as your suspension compresses. Take the ends and this length to a tailshaft place and they can make you one. I payed $300 including a beefed up diff flange.

Good luck.
    Hen

Bad Email Address

cheers guys. Ive got a w58 box with a bill sherwood bellhousing. i figured out the bearing iam picking it up today. will let you guys know how it turns out.

Name
    Ian
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

if your not confident about measuring the length of the tailshaft, just get your car towed to driveshaft place and get them to do it

Name
    Kieran
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

I have a custom belhousing, like what bill was selling.

I made up a custom crossmember.

I had the slip yoke fitted to the orginal tail shaft, the over all length of the gearbox was the same as the T50.

Still using the S series diff too.
    Cheers Kieran

Thanks to: Az & me - Azcustom
    John - Davidson Autobody
    Matt - Tasmanian Engine Reconditioning
    Tobias - Koolstik Signs

4AGTE Powerd AE86 Tassie Spec Build Thread