Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Oil cooler setup

Name
    Brendan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

will this setup work on the 20v....pretty sure sump will fit and pretty sure sandwich plate will fit but just wanting confirmation
    MY JZX83 (clicky)
    My Beams Powered AE86 SOLD (clicky)

Quote Originally Posted by destroyer View Post
    Too bad im in the same town as dr1ft-p1g im pretty sure his mx83 is the coolest.

Oldschool Member

So has anyone tried putting the sandwich plate onto a 4k motor?
    With what type of results?

Name
    Brendan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i have confirmation... this setup will work on 20v but the sump will not fit i had to drill hole in sump and screw fitting into it for the oil returen... the sandwich plate fits perfect and line up with everything its sposed to...

brendan
    MY JZX83 (clicky)
    My Beams Powered AE86 SOLD (clicky)

Quote Originally Posted by destroyer View Post
    Too bad im in the same town as dr1ft-p1g im pretty sure his mx83 is the coolest.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

The oil filter threads and mounting surface is the same for most small Toyotas. (Everything except HiLux and Landcruiser). The 4AG oil filter will also fit the 5K and 4K. But the older 3Ks are different because they have a weird arse tube going through the oil filter.

Note the AE86 also had a factory oil cooler in other countries as described above. Almost the exact same parts as AE82/AE92. Close enough anyway. I'm going to the wreckers to get mine.

I have a 20v so won't be buying the sump. I will make a fitting and weld it into the sump. I wonder why my AE101 20v never had a oil cooler?

I also have the aftermarket sandwich plate for a full flow high pressure oil cooler. More race car style. The TRD Levin Bible only shows pics of the aftermarket full flow oil cooler. I fitted a full flow oil cooler and remote filter to the Galant and it ended up being very expencive, with alloy earls fittings and expensive 250psi tube etc.

I was a mechanic at a Toyota dealership back in 1993 when the AE92s were still new. I was fitting A/C to alot of them and noticed the oil cooler. Some had oil coolers, some didn't. They were fitted before I got to them so nothing to do with A/C. I could not work it out, random. Some had cooler, some not.

Sorry for the long story.

parrot

You can pickup a thermostatically controlled sandwich plate from Mocal pretty cheaply that enables you to run an outlet and return line from the sandwich plate to the cooler, and being thermostatically controlled it only allows flow to the cooler when the oil is hot rather than all the time as the factory setup does. Plus avoids buggering about with sump returns. I lashed out and put together a remote filter setup also along with the fancy aeroquip hose which does not require swaging fittings so easy to make up your own lines. The hose just pushes on to the fittings. At the moment I am debating where to mount the remote filter which will be partly dictated by how big a filter I fit as I am not constrained to the micro 4AGE filter anymore.

Oldschool Member

Cool thanks Jonny. Will start scouring the wreckers.

Name
    Rory
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Another question regarding this for ya'll in the know....

Is it possible/ok to run this setup inline with an oil cooled turbo if I "removed" the thermostat? If no what's the best means of doing this?

The car is a track car so not super worried about oil temps at idle etc....just wondering if there would be a pressure drop difference that might cook the turb if it and the cooler were inline...

R

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

You can run any combination of oil cooler, turbo etc you want. But remember this. The turbo needs about 10psi oil pressure at idle, and above 30psi when things get going. This varies with different turbos, look up the specs of your turbo on the garret website. The old style bushed turbo will want lots of oil pressure, as much as your oil pump will give. A ball bearing turbo only needs less oil pressure, and may smoke it its given too much. The further away from the oil pump you take a oil line, the less pressure. For a old bushed turbo, you want 1 oil pressure line from the pressure switch hole or oil filter housing to the turbo, with a good free flowing return to the sump, with no complications. With a ball bearing turbo, the oil feed can come from elsewhere, maybe even from a T peice after a oil cooler? (as long as the oil cooler gets full pressure all the time).

The factory AE86/82/82 oil coolers do not get full oil pressure all the time. They only flow oil once the engine revs up to produce excess pressure.

Name
    Rory
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Thanks heaps JR...

That's really handy info. We're using one of the Hitachi turbs from a 20b rotary....pretty sure it's just bushed.

If I removed the spring and valve from the sandwich plate in the factory AE86/82/82 oil cooler setup would that mean that we'd get full pressure thru the system?

Cheers mate.
    Rory

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Yes I think you could do this, and use that to suply the turbo.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast