Thread: how do ya tighten handbreak

Name
    Ash
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

can someone tell me where i tighten the cable that tightens the handbreak p.s im a noob
    GhettoGarage.org

Quote Originally Posted by mild seven View Post
    i cant stand "JDM faggots" (people outside of japan who are MORE JDM than people in japan)

Bad Email Address

never adjust your handbrake at the hand brake.. always adjust it at the rear brakes.. the 86's and most toyota drum breaks have a self adjusting mechinism.. but over time they get stuck.. if you take a look at the back of the drum.. you will see an oval rubber bung.. remove.. there is a little star wheel in there you can turn with a screw driver.. it can only go 1 way without pulling the lock tab thing.. but thats not to worry about..

just give it a few clicks.. turn the wheel.. still turns freely.. etc.. repeat to the other side.. and test hand brake... keep repeating this for both side till your happy.. but try not to over tighten.. and have the wheels drag.. pain in the arse to back them off..

Hi

If it is a drum brake rear end you must adjust the rear brakes first as stated by Matty. If it has rear calipers with intigrated handbrake don't worry about this. The major adjustment can be achieved from under neath on some older cars by loosening off the handbrake cable locking nut and adjusting the adjusting nut ensuringe that you are not allowing the rear wheels to bind. The other toyota adjustment is inside the cabin at the rear of the piviot for the handbrake. It is where the handbrake cable terminates and had a 10mm locking nut and a 10mm adjusting nut. Back off the adjusting nut and adjust the cable also ensuring that he wheels are binding. 6 clicks on the hand brake is perfect.

Cheers

Todd

Bad Email Address

mine does 3 clicks on a steep driveway

if my rear whels lock up before my front wheels do with my foot brake, is it a bad idea to adjust the rear drums in the way matty suggested with teh star thing. and if it is ok do i just go and do it? or do i have to do sumthing else first?
    btw im talkin about a ke30
    cheers

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

This is why you all need a corona rear end.

Does 3 clicks unadjusted.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

so i can do 3 clicks without adjusting teh cable at the lever end?