Thread: Repainting Stripped Interior

Name
    zilla
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

Hi all,

It's time to spray my interior so it doesn't look so hagged. Presently it's a typical stripped affair; all sound material removed, no carpet, front seats only & half cage.

I'm looking for some opinions/experience on what primers/paints people have used to do this, but I also have some basic paint questions (I've done next to no painting). My questions are:

1) What paint/primers have people used (either spray gun or pressure pack) – details of brand/type if you may. How satisfactory was the result?

2) As the interior is part bare metal (under sound deadening) and part painted (some acrylic/enamel stuff as originally painted by Toyota, which dissolves with thinners), is it okay if I get some over-spray of etch primer on the painted surfaces? Or will etch primer only bond to bare metal?

3) In respect of the ghetto method, I have seen pressure pack one-part epoxy paints (eg White Knight Rust Guard etc). These are meant to be pretty tough & are self-priming, but take ages to cure – 16 hours each coat. Has anyone tried these? Is it advantageous to use etch primer first?

I'm not looking for a show finish, just want to do a neat job & achieve a reasonably tough finish that won't chip off.

So what are your thoughts?

Bad Email Address

A brush and a tin or 2 of hammercoat was what I did..... so easy and it sticks to anything, looks good and dosnt chip/flake off...... cheap as well......... + no overspray to make a mess ect.. (if your only doing the inside)

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

spray canned my ke70, scuffs away where your feet are but slowly. depends on what you use. $2 supercheap cans FTL!!!

if you go white use appliance paint for like fridges and stuff as its hell durable.

Name
    Grant
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

im very close to doing this, my care is currently minus everything inside. Its missing all sound deadening and i am halfway through cleaning out all the leftover crap with some scary smelling chemical lol...

Drft86, do you have pics of your painted interior? i was previously considering spraying the paint on my interior... but doing it the way you have suggested would save quite a few dilema's. Dont really mind if it doesnt come out great... just not too keen on having brush strokes on my interior.

also can anyone reccommend an affordable clear coat? the coating i last used on the boot of my car came out all sorta honey color'd after a few days (was sprayed on white paint, and had a few coats)
    http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/731/43367425735d6c87ce7bo.jpg

Name
    zilla
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

DRFT-86 - Hammercoat, that's that Watco Trademark paint isn't it? Is it 1 pac or do you mix hardener with it? I have heard its a fast cure paint, do you recall roughly how long until it is touch dry to put a 2nd coat on? And as V-Tec asks, did you get brush strokes in it? I think it only comes in a few colours too, right? Silver & green from memory....(?)

20v KE70 - I checked out that appliance paint, the directions say not to use around stove tops, baths, etc...I interpreted this as "do not use on surfaces near heat sources". I don't know about you guys, but the floor to the left of my transmission tunnel (above exhaust) gets mighty hot (way too hot to touch comfortably), so I thought this might be a concern with appliance paint. So you painted your interior with those cheapo Supercheap enamel pressure packs?

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah my floor in the 70 got hot as F*ck, so maybe appliance paint isn't the best, i used supercheap paint as a "primer" LOL!! it looked shit so i got some gun metal grey killrust or something like that it cost like $12 a tin so i interepret that as good paint.

Bad Email Address

Its just some stuff I bought at repco ........ open the tin and paint it on, no hardeners or anything.... very simple, cant remember how long it took to dry, wasnt that long as I was doing more than 1 coat in a day... a few hours perhaps before you can recoat........

oh and it dosnt leave brush marks.. flows really well... yeh only a few colours also.. (I used green) comes in grey/black/red and a few others I think..

I dont have any really good pics, and have since put a new moulded carpet in so its all covered, but I will upload a pic of the rear to give you some idea..

Bad Email Address

Thats the best pic I have of it......................

[attachment=5055:attachment]

Name
    Grant
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

woo shanty 8D

sounds good, if they have white and black ill use that stuff i recon... it doent need to be that great.
    So you used primer before hand or not for that paint? just didnt sounds like you did...
    http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/731/43367425735d6c87ce7bo.jpg

Bad Email Address

nah man no primer, dosnt need it...... just clean it all up with prep sol/turps and paint away........

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast