Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steering questions, quicker turning/lock

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

hey guys hopefully someone can help me out, i was talking to one of my bro's friends who has links with engineers, fabricators, thru motorsports etc

we were discussing drifting last night at the pub and i was explaining about the whole if u use the power steering arms in sprinters u will get more lock, ... ect

he said people he knows have manufactured parts for some PURE drift car for setups in Aus and said that he could probably get me a custom/cheap "steering ratio increaser" (sorry for not having proper names as we were both drunk by this stage ) so basically from what i remember for 1 turn of the steering wheel it equals 2 of what it wouldve been stock??

these parts were manufactured/ fabricated for use in nissans etc (i dont know if the hachi will need it...?),

anyways, i said nah, im cool because u dont really need one as when ur drifting u usually let the wheel go for a steering quick response (counter steering) and catch it/ slow it down when needed, and if i put in the power steering stuff i wouldnt needed it PLUS also have more lock. im guessing they would cause heavier steering like the power arms but not reward u with more lock??

i've thought about it and reckon they wouldnt be very useful for the reasons stated above /\ /\ /\

also dont know much more than this as it was only discussed briefly. but any comments/ advice welcome

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

possibly gives more control if u dont have to let the wheel freespin, i know similar sortof things are sometimes used in rally, to make rediculously fast steering but its use in drift probly wouldnt be too much
    30kw club

Bad Email Address

Quicker steering............. = Quaife Quick Rack FTW.

Either speak to Trueno Sedan (AJPS) or visit the palmside website in NZ... (google it)

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

quaife quick rack, AJPS rack spacers, and p/s arms for the massif lock and quick steering shiz.

i will be getting a quick rack if i have enough $$ left over

Bad Email Address

Quaife Rack is high on my priority list..............

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

i've talked to him again last nite this time before we went out, but he said it's located in the steering wheel (ie boss area) it basically just like the steering wheel enters and connects to a cog which then is connected to another one which makes the ratio 1:2 (steering turn : wheel/tyre turns)

and i did find out it's proper name... it's called a "steering quickner" i think i might look into it as it seems like a good idea as u will get faster "flicks" going

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

that things sounds highly expensive.

and even on an ae86, which has a very slow steering ratio and there for not very high steering effort, if you put that on, it would make the steering WAY too heavy.

i am speaking from experiance. i have a quaife quick rakc and power steering arms. and the steerings is HEAVY. as in my gf can not physically steer the car.

another thing i will say is that if you think you dont need quicker steering, youve obviously never been to the track. its like cheating.

to sumarise. quicker steering is good. but halving the ratio is going to be too much.
    78's

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

nah u can get ones for $150ish US but theyr for speedway car ie formula 500, sprintcars ect, but if im getting it done on the cheap by a fabricator should be a bit cheapr

Name
    Leigh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Lets us know how they go sounds good.
    Grip TE72

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...read.php?t=276

AJPS for all you Toyota goodies

Name
    justin
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

How heavy is heavy? im guessing the quick rack and p/s arms is still do-able on the street for weekend use?
    Im a pretty strong guy ( ) just worried if it was "impracticle" for street use? keeping in mind im aiming to drift on track once a month to once every 2 months.. so its sorta dual purpose.. its not my daily tho

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast