Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: S13 coilovers into AE86

Bad Email Address

Email returned and he said they make the custom ones up on an order basis... they are the same price as the ones they have on the website... $195.... plus the cheapest shipping which is $30 so all up in AU its around $320 to your door....

Name
    Scott
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yea but with the whole rca thing, the controll arm on the s13 setup sits up higher to the hub. as in on the 86 the balljoint is on the bottom of the strut and the s13 is on the brake bracket is it not? not near the bottom of the strut.. tho i could be wrong i spose whats the opinions?

Dxaqta

rcas for s13 is no where as easy as for an 86....
    you would need to machine up a spacer that goes between the ball joint on the control arm and connect to the hub.... then youd have to make it work..... in other words alot of fucking around and money.....

see this conversion is more complex then most people think....

also another factor is wheather the standard control arm mount to the chassis can handle the extra force put on it from a longer control arm

Bad Email Address

that t3 castor arm looks the goods, wouldnt mind one of them.

Name
    Michael
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Just had my s13 arms cut down 30mm. So still around 30mm longer than the 86 arms. Just swapping the rackends back today but so far it looks pretty good camber and track wise. This is with standard guards btw. I cant really see any adverse effects at this stage..

Name
    Jeremy
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Straya

dxaqta,

PM me your ideas. I want to see what you're thinking.

Jez

the bump steer is not so bad, with 8 kg springs the suspention moves bugger all anyway so its only a problem on the roads...on the track where there is no damn pot holes its sweet as, just have to be more alert when driving on the road then a nanna....hold the wheel with both hands if ur a big girl.....and in the end....eventually in modifying a car u always come to a point where the car becomes cumbersome to drive on the roads...and becomes a track car...and a whole new level begins

some people bitch and moan about how the lsd they put in made the car hard to park...or the steering is heavy when u put wide tyres on...or they they have to slow down over speed bumps when the car is lowered....all i can say is ....NO S#IT!!! and f'n deal with it....first corner i take on a race track at each meeting just puts the bigest grin on my face....thats what its all about...not bump steer or harder steering.....if u have never been on a track or in a car thats silly on the road maybe u should just stfu! and trying to sounds like a damn profesor on here and not knowing jack isnt helping ur cause...

and this conversion is not harder then people think...people like u make it harder...just wait for the reaction of the next person that finishes it....i can only guess at what its going to be, i believe it will start with "that was easy"--and end with "omg this is f'n cool"

and for the last time ...the sway bar link fits in the hole!

Adam

ok fair enough...i rant....but its people like u that make shit so damn complicated.....
    why not fit this set up and see...if u dont like it take it out....at least your doing something then and not gasbaging on forums...this shit is geting nowthere...in the end were driving 20 somethng year old cars not damn ferraris...and this set up isnt a damn morgage...if u wish to discuss this further why not start a topic in the tech questions section and leave this to "how to" questions....

all i can say....is....

its cheep, its easy, big brakes, better range of coilies, MORE LOCK!

i think the argument speaks for itself

and make love not war lol

thanx
    Adam

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

This should end now, or as starter of this thread i will have it locked, we have 9 pages now, not all of which are useful.

everything with performance modifications is a compromise you don't get a decent result without some sort of adverse side affect. you don't install a 2 way LSD and expect it to be whisper quiet, you don't up your spring rates to 8 and 7 kg/mm and expect a comfy ride. you do these mods because you know the positives outweight the negatives or that you know you can put up with whatever that negative outcome may be! i grit my teeth and clench my arse when i see roadworks, speed bumps even manhole covers! but come smooth road time it's a joy.

in the case of this coilover conversion we know the positives, now i want the negatives. personally i find heavier steering (mostly due to track increase and steering arm geometry) obviously the redrilling (defectable in most states) and slight bump steer. i have had a wheel alignment done and i find the car to be very capable handling wise, i have minimal to zero drift or circuit racing history plus i am no tech head i don't know shit about ackerman, but i do appreciate good handling and right now i own the best handling car i've ever had, i have phenominal turn in and front end grip, very low levels of body roll, with the current rear end setup being adjustable coilovers as well, i have ended up with a very neutral setting, if anything very slightly leans to oversteer at the limit but you have to push it hard to get there, anyway thats more to do with the rear settings than front so yeah.

i see where Matt is coming from, i don't know what issues this conversion creates geometry wise but i do understand his thinkings and respect them.

this conversion is merely an upgrade over exsisting suspension, it is not the "be all and end all" ultimate 86 setup. if you want a cheaper coilover alternative (2nd hand) plus a track, lock and brake advantage then this is a definate consideration. bang for buck i can't see past it.

we know the positives of this conversion now so that doesn't need to be argued anymore. i would however like the negatives posted or pm'ed to me so i can add them in the original posting so people can make up there own minds as to which road they would like to travel.

this should really not be argued here and turned into a pissing contest. provide me with the facts let the people choose there path

Dxaqta

well said dave... i just tend to over think things and i have weighed up both angles so ill send u a pm

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast