Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: S13 coilovers into AE86

In the search for more factory LCAs to suit, it would be great if anyone who has done this conversion can measure their LCA from chassis bolt hole to centre of ball joint and post up the measurement. And also what camber this arm gave. This will be very helpful for the next trip to Pick-A-Part.

The BJ314 balljoint is a good fit in the S13 knuckles and this balljoint is found in many Toyota LCAs (MX62, MX73, MX83, JZX81, MA61 and more) so finding one which is the correct length would be great.

Hen

Name
    Jeremy
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Straya

Or Adam could just tell us which one it is...:-P

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

40mm is a lot but doesn't cause excessive camber as the silvia hub to coilover arrangement is different to the full strut tube of an ae86. yes the arm is long but the hub steps in where it bolts to the coilover, therefore you don't get bullshit camber due to the strut be put on a huge angle. if for example you found a suitable arm the same length as a 86 item you would probably end up with pos camber!

[attachment=5822:attachment]

you can see what i mean above (not the best pic) if the coilover followed the current profile and bolted to the actual arm AE86 style you would get crazy unusable camber. but as i said earlier due to the staggered effect the hub produces, you are provided with ample usable camber

Name
    Jeremy
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Straya

So could you get a measurement of your LCA from centre of balljoint to bolt hole for cross member.

And how much camber have you ended up with?

Thanks mate.

Jeremy

Name
    Jeremy
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Straya

Gong by some rough measurments i took just then, the S13 lower conmtrol arm is 350mm from centre of ball joint to centre of Xmember bolt hole. Standard sprinter is 310mm.

Jez

PS, Evo, I was just checking a few things, and the TR Magna uses a BJ285 (along with TN, TM and TP, also a bunch of FWD Lancers and Evos). Info is

I measured up a BJ285 a while ago and it almost suits RA60 steering arms, so will be too small for S13 hubs. Info

Hen

i just did the conversion...still have to get wheel alighnment and stuff...

early bluebird tie rod ends

ra60 rack ends

s13 lca

s13 disk with s14 caliper

s13 coilie

ae86 camber plate

the s13 lca kind of fits...u need to grind about 2 mm off each end off the crush tube in the bush....no drama there...and then if its not enough just tap out the xmember a little...it slotted straight in...

now...camber...oh camber

since my coilovers have the top hole sloted i tried getting as much camber as i could...and um...i think even v8 supercars would of been put to shame but that was just being silly....i loosened those bolts and now its accceptable even with my camber plates set to max...so camber is no issue

the track has been significally increased though...i have 7.5 0 offset 15's on the front and they stick out the guards about 40 mm....which looks cool but is totaly illegal which is no issiue as i have some jblood overfenders coming but the height even with the coilover at max height is a bit of an issue...as i only have about 1 cm of gap between the tyre and guard but it only rubbs a little

now the real cool thing...the ammount of lock you get is beyond a joke...but i still have to test that out...

all up was easy to do took a couple hours on a hoist

Adam

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

if you could put up some pics and get an accurate camber reading that would be super helpful!

glad to hear it worked for you

the lock is good!

Name
    Scott
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

when are you gonna go get an alignment stomp86? hmmmm, how come your tires gilly sits in your guard perfectly and stomps sits out about 40mm? thats the difference in controll arms and rim offsets i spose!? what width and offset rim do u run gilly? cheers
    scott

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i'm needing to confirm measurements of my arms.

also offsets differ i have 15x7.5 +10mm rims, measured them yesterday

also in my pics camber is set all the way neg, at close to zero camber my rims hang out the guards about 15-20mm and they have had a slight flare job maybe 5mm at most.

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast