Thread: AE101 Calipers onto '86 hubs

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hey all,

I was thinking of throwing my AE101 calipers onto the hachi for a bit of the stoppy stoppy action. They're big beefy mofo's. Was just wondering if someone had a template or design for the brackets you'd need to replace them. I know I'd need to get some blank discs drilled to suit the pattern, but the calipers are too massive to let go to waste...

Any help much appreciated.
    The Phoenix; In the build since 10/06!
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

do you have a pic of one of these calipers?
    30kw club

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Not on me... I know the mounting pattern is probably only around 6-7mm difference in length between the two stock bolt holes in the AE86 hub, but I know it needs to be raised off the disc more, and the fact that the disc is chunkier needs to be taken into consideration.
    :: 4A-GTE / GT2560R / W58 / TRD 2-Way / F Series Diff / Microtech LT10S / AJPS Supplied Suspension ::
    Where will it stop? Will it ever be finished? How will it go? Why am I not wearing any pants?

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

i had a ae101 caliper (same side twinspot) with a 406 disks and custom bracket
    30kw club

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, the bracket design/template/thingo is what I be needing. Almost to the stage of frustration where I'd be willing to hand out sexual favours.

Designing adaptors is a bit of a coant. Expect to spend plenty of time with some verniers, graph paper, lots of parts and preferably a few beers.

I don't think it'll be worth doing it "just because you have them there", unless you can find a suitable design.

And expect to screw up the first prototype or two if you design them yourself.

Hen

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, I've already met my friend Mr Frustration trying to just get measurements and figure out exactly what I'm going to do where, lol. I think I need to go find some disks to suit the studs before anything else, then take it from there. Will be much easier than just imaging where the disk actually is. If I can successfully design a set of adaptors though, I'd be considered a god amongst men though, correct? Lol. Might even be able to make a few bucks out of manufacturing them.

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

i had problems fitting the caliper with 15" albino rims
    30kw club

Name
    Andy
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, just thought then I might need smaller-than-stock discs, just to fit it into a 15" rim. Won't need to be too small, but they will need to be smaller than stock probably. Meh, will investigate further...

get the discs first, then take off the whole ae86 hub and the bit where the stock calipers bolt on to, mount it in the vice, put your new disc in and torque it otherwise your measurements will be off, and then start measuring..getting the discs 1st would be the easiest way i reckon....but the measuring would still be difficult.

what u can do to measure is get a L shaped steel bar drill the 2 holes to bolt on to the hub, then align your ae101 calipers then mark and drill the 2 holes for them, then to get the right position u just put shims or washers for each of the 4 holes until u get it right, then just measure the shims/washers thickness and everything else,and u will have the meaasurements..do it right the 1st time coz its a pain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast