Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: FC Front Brake Upgrade

Name
    Chris
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Does anyone have the hot tip on a rebuild kit part number and ball park price? Or have others just paid to get them done? My preferrence would be do it myself and save some cash, unless the difference is negligable.

Cheers,
    Chris

Name
    Oliver
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

As mentioned on my initial post, my pair were $160 to rebuild which covered new seals, and labour for stripping them and cleaning/repainting them afterwards.

Because they are 4 piston unit the price could be higher than a single/twin piston set. I took them to a local shop (Brakes Plus) and he had them back to me the next day.

Dunno what the parts would be worth, but by the time you buy the seals, paint if need it etc it would add up.

I diddn't need any pistons, and he said they were great inside, even though they looked well-used on the the outside.

Oly

dunno if this will be of any use, but i was checking out yahoo auctions for some JDM brakes and came across this:

Like i said, dont know if they would be of any benefit to you guys as i've only quickly browsed this thread, but thought i'd chuck it up there. Mods, feel free to delete if useless

Name
    Jaidan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

ha ha perfect!

Name
    Ryan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Just a quick thing i just noiced on the dba website is that the part number you have for dba its listed as a 280mm rotor not a 276mm rotor.

Other combinations have been done to. As im looking at setting my car up for two things and a 14" wheel is the biggest im allowed in IPRA i need brakes that will fit under a 14" wheel.

Looking at a few of the other corollas out there (ke20 mostly) they have setups like S4 rx7 calipers and rotors, S4 rx7 calipers and EVO 2 rotors.

Looking at the specs it looks like the EVO 2 disc is the one that will fit under a 14" wheel with a diameter of 276mm and a thickness of 24mm (requires a spacer in the caliper) BUT the center hole is 69mm and the height is 45mm (1mm higher)

Other wise if someone could tell me if the mini rotor fits under a 14" wheel i will go down that way if not then i will look into other opinions.
    bass_2000_au_au@hotmail.com says:
    they see me drivin....a 30....neons blaring....#####s lookin dirty....look at my dirty 30

Why are you limited to a 14" wheel in IPRA?
    As far as I'm aware, the majority of U2L front runners around the country are taking advantage of the change of rules allowing a 50 profile tyre for early models. As a result, the rolling diameter of a 205/50-15 is actually slightly smaller than the 195/60-14 that they were previously using, or the 225/50-15 gives a pretty decent amount of extra rubber on the track (but is slightly bigger than the old 14 if clearance is becoming an issue)

I for one am rebuilding my entire brake system - front and rear, to make use of the extra space the 15" wheel offers.
    If you'd like a setup that fits under a 14, then I have a set of 4spot Volvo calipers on brackets to suit a KE70/AE86 strut with Ferodo DS2500 pads and RA60 Celica discs on custom adapters to bolt directly to AE86 hubs. All of which will be for sale once I get the Mazda calipers mounted up...

Bad Email Address

^^^Hey Craig^^^

I just purchased a set of the DBA Mini cooper S rotors (276 diameter) but I did notice that the DBA pdf. catalogue was updated just a few days ago. Prior to that the mini rotors were 276 mm dia. but now they are 280 mm dia.

If you want to run the Mini cooper rotor, RDA still (I think) have the 276 mm version available. The part number is on the first page of this very helpful thread.

Also,

Does anyone have a fairly good idea how much the DBA mini rotors are? I was quoted $180 per rotor. But the RDA brand is a fair bit cheaper.

Thanks,

Blake

Name
    Chris
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Craig,

I was talking to Hen about this on the weekend and he was under the impression that some of the rally guys were running a magna disk with the rx7 calipers, all under 14"s.

Chris.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Thanks for all the replies about fitting them under 14's.

Im writing an email to who ever it is that runs 3J IPRA asking questions on little things like wheel sizes and such. So before i go ahead and do any more research ill find out from them.
    bass_2000_au_au@hotmail.com says:
    they see me drivin....a 30....neons blaring....#####s lookin dirty....look at my dirty 30

Click here for 3rd category vehicle rules. 3J is Improved Production, you will find everything you need to know about IPRA specific rules here. It is updated as the rules change and is therefore current with all the rule changes for this year.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast