Thread: 2 ways

Name
    ben
    State
    sa
    Country
    australia

Just a quick question are two way diffs known to clunk? or is that only if they are stuffed? Searched, couldnt find a definate answer.

Bad Email Address

Yes they clunk.
    Although Im tey to hear a TRD 2way clunk

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

try a different oil

Name
    Tim
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

The right friction modifier may be your friend, depending on which oil you use.

Name
    Nafe
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Two ways that are run in correctly tend to be quieter and easier to live with. My TRD two way is breillant. Locks up great when you want it to, but on slow speed, tight (ie carpark, etc) driving it doesn't bind up tight and squeals wheelsand shit.
    It absically comes down to oil and whether it was run in properly.

also comes back to what the pr load of your diff is. eg one with a 6kg pre load will be alot less nasty than a 12kg pre loaded 2way
    mark

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i would suggest changing your oil. try penrite 10 10ths, you can get it from autobarn. i use it and swear buy it, it just takes ages to get it in the diff as its so thick (isn't that right Dimitri) i used a trick Dimitri showed me (my diff was apart so it was easier) pull an axle out and pour in the whole bottle (2.5 litres) saves leaving like 1/2 a litre in a bottle, more is better.

if its still noisey after that go to your local holden dealership and ask for the LSD friction modifier. we used it in heaps of VT LSD equipped vehicles to great success, they used to have LSD chatter issues. i've heard of peeps using this in aftermarket clutch plate LSD's with success.

if the above don't fix it, i'm sorry but it needs to come out. LSD could be due a rebuild, or you might not even have an LSD issue could be crown wheel and pinion issue.

i have had both a KAAZ and a TRD 2 way now, both have been quiet operating units, neither of which showed the normal pain in the arse symptoms that 2 ways are apparantly famous for. never had a clunk from either LSD (i've had axle issues though!!), whine or chatter, KAAZ never chirpped tyres during slow speed turning but my TRD does ,not an issue just means its a bit tighter = better.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Clunking could (probably the less likely of problems) also be assosiated with axles that are worn badly and arent sitting in the lsd properly.

Could also be (but again the less likely of problems) a clutch that doesnt engage properly and sends force thru the drive train when changing gears till it finds a weak link and clunks.

I guess it also depends on when yoou can hear the clunk, ie gear change up and/or down, slow turns (carpark)

More info brother, a questions asked as simple as "do lsd's clunk" doesnt leave us alot to go on.
    Insert witty comment here....