Thread: still have this starting problem

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

reverse start? thats an interesting....er..thing to happen, can you evaluate on this?
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Bad Email Address

alright.. i start the motor and it cranks over normally for 1second and then cranks over the other way all of a sudden...

Name
    David
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

my car did that - if the problem is on a 4age(like mine) you probably have a 4ac starter - fix it by fitting a 4age starter motor... if it already is its probably worn out

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Got me buggered. Starter motor only spins one way, stuffed if i know how it can "cranks over the other way all of a sudden..."

Dude do you have your firing order the right way. I guess you would have other wise it wouldnt run normally majpority of the time.

Time for an auto electrician me thinks.
    Insert witty comment here....

Bad Email Address

hmmm ill try the starter motor... i hav asked a guy that does car computers and he goes it could be the computer...

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Beg, borrow, steal another ecu and try it. For a problem that comes and goes like this is really strange. Definatley not something i have ever heard of before.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Is it possible the reverse you see is not reverse start but reverse cranking when you stop the starter motor.

You know what i mean, as in trying to start then stopping and as you stop the motor reverses it self

Bad Email Address

im not quite sure what u r tryin to say.... but u can see the motor turn the other way around... u see the crank turn right as normal and then go the opposite way... its wierdd but ill try a computer first ive got a feeling i blew something in the computer and its not sending the right spark msg

Name
    David
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

its only goin backwards (from what i can see) because the starter cant turn the engine over all the way because of lack of torque, and the compression in the engine springs it back - so doesnt "crank" backwards - only stops cranking... doubt it'd be the computer, but i can almost gaurantee its the starter - or wiring to the starter. it also could be cos your timing belt has skipped a tooth - take your timing belt cover off and see if you can get all the marks to line up - probably cheaper to check this first than changing the starter!

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

interesting...sounds to me like its not actually the starter motor making it go the other way and the only other thing that could do it is combustion..

im goin to go out on a limb, could it be that your timing is sooo far advanced that it fires sooo much before top dead centre that it actually forces the piston back down where it came from????

another idea is that maybe there is a sharp edge in your combustion chamber that gets hot and acts like a spark plug and pre ignites the mixture. (this happends in my dads car and causes pinging, apparently its a defect in that particular engine)

you said it happends when its really hot? then the pre-ignition by a sharp edge is possible
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast