Thread: Parts required for 4AGE in to KE70

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i can see this question being asked more than once. here is a list of the parts required to do the conversion, if i have missed anything let me know and i'll update the post (its 10:26pm and i have been at work since 4, thats 4 this morning which means i got up a 3 to get to work )

AE86 or AE71 engine crossmember
    AE71 gearbox x member (86 one can be used)
    AE71 pedal box
    AE71 or AE86 clutch master cylinder
    AE71 or AE86 solid clutch line from master to slave, and rubber hose
    AE71 or AE86 rubber engine mounts
    AE71 or AE86 steel engine brackets
    AE71 or AE86 gearbox stays (link box to block)
    AE71 tailshaft if keeping the ke70 borg diff
    AE86 tailshaft if using S series
    AE86 tailshaft with T18 back half if using T series diff
    T50 gear box
    obviously a 4AGE of some sorts JDM being easier, ADM FWD being a little trickier but no big deal.

thats just what you need to get the engine in there, you will also need

modify tank pickup with fuel pump, plus mod top tank plate with a 8mm fitting for fuel feed.
    fuel hose (injection spec)

loom to suit, either modded AE82 loom if using a bigport, modded AE92 loom if using a smallport, or a slightly less modified JDM loom again if you are using a bigport.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but in regards to the gearbox stays and tail shaft from the ae71, do you think auto transmission ones would be the same as manual ones?
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Kevin
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

you can get away without using the gerabox stays/braces if you dont have any. also you can use standard fuel lines and just use a VL fuel pump externally, obviously changing the rubber fuel hoses.

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

^^ that's true, i personally prefer to use the same size hose as what 4AGE's use, being 8mm feed and 6mm return. i have heard of people using the stock carby lines with success.

VL external pumps are usually fed by a smaller in tank pump (in a VL) so aren't solely designed to be used as a "pull" pump, once again having said that i used one in my 20v AE86 and it was fine just got a bit ordinary below 1/4 tank due to pick up issues.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

using the vl pump to pump to a surge tank, then a decent fuel pump from surge--> engine, this would be a good setup yeah? cuase surge tank wouldnt cost that much to set up
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i would use the vl pump after the surge tank and a small low pressure in tank pump (lift pump) to fill the surge tank.

actually i would just use a decent in tank pump and not worry about external surge tanks and such, but that is my personal preference.

try any decent EFI shop they should be able to source a low pressure lift pump for you (Carter, Holley, generic cheaper options available as well)

it's not hard to set up the fuel system, i just personally believe an in tank single high pressure pump is fine for an NA engine. plus you get the extra advantage of cheaper installation and no fumes etc in the cabin (which can also be a legality issue.)

if you are going supercharged or turbo than yes i would run external surge and pump just as cheap insurance really, avoid a lean out causing detonation and therefore causing massif emptying of wallet for rebuild.

Name
    Kevin
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

indeed. dont run a high pressure efi pump to feed a surge, bad idea. you only want a 5 possibly 6psi pump as your lift pump.

and with the fuel lines, stock carby fuels lines are good for minimum 200RWKW from experience

Banned
    Name
    Brendo
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

can i only use the AE71 tailshaft if i got an adm 86 t50 and standard borg diff? 86 tailshaft do the job or not?

cheers

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i would also like to know that^^ and also, about the surge tanks, ive heard that when you add an efi pump to a non efi fuel tank you have troubles with fuel starving below 1/4 tank? exactly how bad is this effect? is it only really a worry if your doin spirited driving/track work?
    - Blaise Pascal

just finished getting mine running last night dave and running a smallish surge tank with pre pump & vl pump (all external), so will be able to let ya know and show ya pics of the setup. Its under 1/4 of a tank and i havent really had any problems yet....only driven it for 2 hours though

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast